Login to AccuWeather.com Premium Login to AccuWeather.com Professional Login to AccuWeather.com RadarPlus AccuWeather.com

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> My Opinion On Electronic Weather Stations in General...
WeatherMatrix (O...
post Oct 24 2004, 05:29 PM
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: AccuWeather_Employee
Member No.: 3

Being currently responsible for answering email requests via the WeatherMatrix website, I get asked this question a lot. Although sometimes the recommendation depends on what you need to measure, how accurately and how often, there are some basic rules which I will outline below.

First, my experience has shown that quality control in the Weather Station sector of industry is fairly low.

I have not had a good enough experience with any of the stations to recommend a "good" low-priced one. I test stations as a hobby and have had fatal failures within 6 months of purchase on stations ranging in price from $300 to $3000.

When purchasing an electronic weather station, you need to make your purchase based on the station's features, warranty, and the customer support (or lack thereof) from the company selling the stations. For example, it might be a better idea to purchase a station from a physical store than to mail-order one, or it might be better to purchase from a company that concentrates on manufacturing weather stations than from a place which has a lot of other irons in the fire.

Ease of installation is another thing to think about. Wireless is the easiest way to go for installation. Wired installations can be tricky due to line length and windows/doors. Wireless stations are usually more expensive.

The Rainwise station I am using (WS-2000) was the easiest station I have ever installed because 1.) It was wireless and 2.) It came fully assembled, ready to stick on the tripod. No batteries even!

The WeatherHawk is also pretty easy to install, even though it requires battery installation.

A station to contrast those against is the Oregon Scientific WMR-918, also wireless, but which requires mounting of at least six different pieces, and the solar transmitters require removal of no less than 6 tiny screws which require a special screwdriver.

If you are considering wired versus wireless make sure you ask the manufacturer how things are transmitted... some frequencies are restricted to transmitting every 12 seconds or so by FCC rules. As an example, if the station measures wind speed every 5 seconds, it would need to transmit the maximum, rather than latest, wind gust during that period, or you might miss it.

--------------------
THIS ACCOUNT IS NO LONGER ACTIVE BUT I AM A MODERATOR - PLEASE PM ME AT ACCOUNT 'WEATHERMATRIX'
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
pjefferis
post Nov 22 2004, 09:20 AM
Post #2

Group: Founding Member
Member No.: 516

Hello Jesse,
Quick question for you - what has been your experience with the LaCrosse WS2310? I'm looking to purchase my first weather station, and I'm eyeing that one (partly because of price) - but I wanted to make sure it was worth my time and money before buying it. I'm shooting for accuracy in the measurements, reliability, and durability.......

thanks for your help, and have a great day!
Phil Jefferis
Winchester, KY

+Quote Post
WeatherMatrix (O...
post Nov 28 2004, 04:14 PM
Post #3

Group Icon

Group: AccuWeather_Employee
Member No.: 3

Unfortunately I have not ever tested any LaCrosse stations.

--------------------
THIS ACCOUNT IS NO LONGER ACTIVE BUT I AM A MODERATOR - PLEASE PM ME AT ACCOUNT 'WEATHERMATRIX'

+Quote Post
Mav
post Dec 1 2004, 11:04 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 531

I have been researching wireless home systems, and I have found the Oregon WRM-968 to look very appealing. Costco has it on sale right now for $209. I have seen some reports that the rain gauge is not very accurate. Is there any other problems that should dissuade me from purchasing this model? If so, what other models should I look at? I am buying this for my father in law who is a retired metrologist. Thanks!

+Quote Post
Jarron
post Dec 2 2004, 11:30 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 209

(Mav)
I have been researching wireless home systems, and I have found the Oregon WRM-968 to look very appealing. Costco has it on sale right now for $209. I have seen some reports that the rain gauge is not very accurate. Is there any other problems that should dissuade me from purchasing this model? If so, what other models should I look at? I am buying this for my father in law who is a retired metrologist. Thanks!

I don't know that the accuracy is much of a problem with the 968, just the resolution. It reads in approx .04" (1mm) increments, 4 times as much as some other stations, so you miss a lot of small showers.

How cold does it get where your father-in-law will be using it? The humidity readings only work down to 14F. It appears the dew point won't even work down that low, people are reporting it won't show a dew point reading below 32F.

It needs six AA lithium batteries if he expects temperatures below 0F.

If he gets a lot of freezing rain the anemometer will freeze up more than some other brands because of lack of drip rings.

I have only had experience with the WMR-968 and the Davis VP, so I'm unable to recommend another station in that price range. In fact I doubt that you can beat the WMR-968 for the price you were quoted.

For the above, and many other reasons, I much prefer the Davis VP, but it would cost you over twice as much.

+Quote Post
thundercloud
post Dec 3 2004, 11:34 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 6

(Jarron)
(Mav)

I don't know that the accuracy is much of a problem with the 968, just the resolution. It reads in approx .04" (1mm) increments, 4 times as much as some other stations, so you miss a lot of small showers.

How cold does it get where your father-in-law will be using it? The humidity readings only work down to 14F. It appears the dew point won't even work down that low, people are reporting it won't show a dew point reading below 32F.

It needs six AA lithium batteries if he expects temperatures below 0F.

If he gets a lot of freezing rain the anemometer will freeze up more than some other brands because of lack of drip rings.

I have only had experience with the WMR-968 and the Davis VP, so I'm unable to recommend another station in that price range. In fact I doubt that you can beat the WMR-968 for the price you were quoted.

For the above, and many other reasons, I much prefer the Davis VP, but it would cost you over twice as much.

Someone said in another thread that Scientific Sales has a wireless VP for $410...so not quite double, but close.

--------------------
Artie/NY
B.S. in Meteorology
Daily Hi/Lo & Precip will be posted here: http://thundercloud82.blogspot.com/

+Quote Post
Weather Display
post Dec 6 2004, 12:04 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 293

if you get a ws2310, then you need to replace the cable between the temp/hum sensor and the windspeed sensor with a twisted pair cable (like CAT5), if you are going to use the statin with a pc

--------------------

+Quote Post
BlondeOne
post Jan 8 2005, 03:55 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 606

I have a Ws2310 and it has been running flawlessly for the last 8 months since I got it.

The cable problem can be rectified without replaceing it if you make sure the entire length of the cable is secured with clamps leaving no loose spots to move in the wind. This was creating a static charge and giving false corrupt data readings.

It's a good unit for the money, however the anemometer is a turbine type and is not as sensitive to very light winds as the traditional 3 cup rotor is.

The MIN Temp. only goes down to -30C and for where I live, there are at least 3-5 days every winter we surpass that. (-35C Dec. 22nd).

I run mine cbale connected so I cannot coment on the transmission range of the unit. With the cable, this gives me a reading every 6 secs. and I don't have to wory about buying expensive litium batteries that I would need to handle the cold.

+Quote Post
Salems-Lot
post Jul 3 2005, 06:45 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 1,051

Hi there new to the site and the hobby... nice site byw. Was wondering what software your using with your rainwise system?

+Quote Post
WeatherMatrix
post Jul 3 2005, 08:45 PM
Post #10

Admin

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 2

I am using WeatherView32 on WindowsXP. It and other software are featured here:

:arrow: http://www.weathermatrix.net/wxstation/software/

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd September 2014 - 01:50 PM