Login to AccuWeather.com Premium Login to AccuWeather.com Professional Login to AccuWeather.com RadarPlus AccuWeather.com

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Your Opinion (funnel cloud or not?)
bjazzer1
post May 27 2008, 12:32 PM
Post #1

Group: Member
Member No.: 14,920

May 1st, 2008 proved to be a very frustrating day for me.
I woke up from a nap and saw a huge cell moving to sioux falls SD. Being in Sioux Center (45 minutes south of sioux falls) I decided to get a friend and chase down the storm. We actually did a pretty good job, being sure to come up from behind. We did get hit by some hail, but I managed to take this picture...Having never seen a funnel cloud, I was wondering if you guys think this is one or just a low cloud.
Keep in mind we were at the back edge of the storm where the tornado is SUPPOSED to be.
The pictured cloud immediately vanished after this photo, which made me sad. Also, I never actually spotted any kind of wall cloud, which makes me think this wasn't a funell cloud.
The frustrating thing is that when we got back to Sioux Center, we learned that 5 tornadoes touched down while we were gone, one of which could be seen from my dorm room. mad.gif grr....

Final note, these tornadoes that hit sioux center did not have a wall cloud, in fact they kind of just spawned out of grey skies, which goes against everything i've ever heard about tornadoes. (being right after the main downdraft, in low skies with sunny horizons) There wasn't even any kind of rain or sever weather prior to their spawning. Whats the deal???

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
Attached Image

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
bjazzer1
post May 27 2008, 12:37 PM
Post #2

P.S. I thought I would add that ONE of the tornadoes ended up NOT being a tornado...according to the NWS. People described it as a large column of smoke that was attached to the clouds. It took out a few farms, so it had to be stronger than a dust devil. I tried searching what it could be if it wasn't a tornado.
Any ideas?

+Quote Post
denandtina
post May 27 2008, 01:05 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 12,744

Tough call there. Looks to possibly be the start of a funnel or some rotation from the meso. Cool pic either way!

--------------------
Every snowstorm can't be a '93 or '96

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."-quote by Adam Savage of Mythbusters.

This post courtesy of Dennis; Posting With Common Sense And Zen-Like Calmness.

+Quote Post
DomNH
post May 27 2008, 08:45 PM
Post #4

Group: SuperModerator
Member No.: 11,976

Yeah, really tough call. I'd say low cloud, but it could go either way.

--------------------

+Quote Post
bjazzer1
post May 27 2008, 09:23 PM
Post #5

Hmm....That's a shame.
I guess this one will just remain a mystery...although in the future when I describe this story, I'm going to turn that low cloud into a nice F5 tornado.
One that chased me into a barn where I only survived by using my belt from Macy's to hitch myself to a pipe. wink.gif

Thanks for the help!

+Quote Post
SnowMan11
post May 30 2008, 09:44 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 14,017

It does look like a start of a Tornado but it just might be a cloud. Very tough call

--------------------
Winter of 2014-2015

Snowfall Totals

11/26/14 - 0.10 ( snow/sleet/rain )

+Quote Post
weatherbud
post Jun 2 2008, 05:15 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 14,556

It really could be a start of a tornado. But as you said, it vanished immediately which mean that it could just be a clod..

--------------------
Weather Blogs Hurricane Ike
---------------------------------------------------------------------
"Snowflakes are kisses from heaven..."

+Quote Post
stormchaser1287
post Aug 6 2008, 05:08 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 13,269

I would say low cloud.However,the pic is cool and to any normal person that would be a funnel.So if there is a friend you are trying to impress that doesn't know alot about the weather and cloud formations you could easily say "Hey,look at the picture of the funnel I took!"But you didn't hear this from me! wink.gif

--------------------
For pictures and footage of severe weather shot by my stormchase team & I,as well as forecasts for severe weather events log onto The SWIFT Website

+Quote Post
Removed_Member_Bryon_*
post Sep 30 2008, 03:15 PM
Post #9

Guests

its pretty possible but wasit spinning???! laugh.gif

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th November 2014 - 04:50 PM