Login to AccuWeather.com Premium Login to AccuWeather.com Professional Login to AccuWeather.com RadarPlus AccuWeather.com

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> f-4 tornado memorial day 1995, tornado hits great barrington
apeaslee
post May 30 2008, 04:34 PM
Post #1

Group: Member
Member No.: 14,376

it was memorial day 1995,it was a sunny pleasantly warm and humid day,we only had the possibility for t-storms,no severe weather was expected.i had it on twc and i could see some convection firing up in eastern ny early that afternoon of memorial day 1995,i guess most people at nws in albany were out having a picnic having barbecues cooking all because of the fact that no severe weather was expected.but we all got surprised that memorial day afternoon,all of a sudden i started seeing these huge black storm clouds forming overhead and they were swirling down low,i was like hit the deck we are gonna get by a twister because of the wall cloud rotating right in front of me.it was weird how the thunder and lightning and heavy torrential downpours stopped all of a sudden.then the dark cloud was rotating,i can see hear something roaring to my south,but i couldnt make out what it was.then the winds picked up and started getting stronger and stronger and felt as though it was trying to rip me off my porch while i hung onto the steal railing.i figured it was probably downdraft and microbursts and it was pouring with small ball size hail that completely covered the grass.but looking southward towards lenox and lee,i couldnt believe how black the sky was,and all that tons and tons of wicked insane lightning bolts constantly ripping across the sky with huge thunderous crashes of thunder that i was hearing so easily up here.then the lightning and thunder was happenng so much,then i started hearing the sirens going off outside up and down north st and wahconah st.i went and looked at the weather channel,i can see it being scrawled across the bottom of the tv that a tornado came thru and landed in the southern berkshires.when the tornado came into the southern berkshires,it was an f-2 tornado and grew to a possible f-5 or even f-6 tornado.see,what happened was,when the storm team invetigators first arrived here from the nws in albany doing there investigation.they first said the tornado was over a mile wide,it ripped up the pavement and the ground and only a powerfull f-5 or f-6 does that,then it was as if a blowling ball came in and then smashed everything to bits all houses,building structures,the great barrington horse track and destroyed thousands of trees that were 60-80ft tall.the storm team investigators later changes there minds and said the tornado grew to be a powerfull f-4 tornado from what the storm team investigators later concluded that summer of 95 from the nws in albany.the tornado was over a mile wide and destroyed a landscape of over 30 miles while it was on the ground
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th July 2014 - 12:10 PM