Login to AccuWeather.com Premium Login to AccuWeather.com Professional Login to AccuWeather.com RadarPlus AccuWeather.com

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> VP2 Wireless Envoy, Question about using an Envoy
Spamiam
post Jun 8 2008, 07:51 PM
Post #1

Group: Member
Member No.: 12,430

I have a wireless VP2 and a standard console. The console is nowhere near a computer, but I want to use the computer software for data logging, and I want to have a webpage with the current data.

How can I do this in the most cost effective way? From what I can tell, I need to get a wireless Envoy and have it near the computer. Do I also need to get the computer software AND a data logger module? It seems silly to sell an Envoy (which is no good without a computer and the necessary software) without all the stuff that it takes to actually use it. Therefore I suspect that I do not need to buy all that extra stuff to get up and running.

-Tony
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
lilheat
post Jun 8 2008, 08:03 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 14,350

Yes, the Envoy would be the way to go. I've had mine for over a year and it has worked perfectly. You will need to buy the Weatherlink software and datalogger, however. It makes absolutely no sense that Davis sells the the two separately.... the Envoy is pretty much useless without Weatherlink. I would still recommend it though, once I got over grumbling about that issue, I've been 100% satisfied with mine. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Removed_Member_Joseph Toubes_*
post Jun 8 2008, 08:50 PM
Post #3

Guests

QUOTE(Spamiam @ Jun 8 2008, 07:51 PM) *
I have a wireless VP2 and a standard console. The console is nowhere near a computer, but I want to use the computer software for data logging, and I want to have a webpage with the current data.

How can I do this in the most cost effective way? From what I can tell, I need to get a wireless Envoy and have it near the computer. Do I also need to get the computer software AND a data logger module? It seems silly to sell an Envoy (which is no good without a computer and the necessary software) without all the stuff that it takes to actually use it. Therefore I suspect that I do not need to buy all that extra stuff to get up and running.

-Tony
That is how the money is made. Make something and then you have to buy something else.

A couple of ways. you can buy the weatherlink.. you have a couple of options. I would recommend a serial logger, but some have the IP.

The serial logger, you could use the various data graphs and items including their web page software that is built in. you just have to have a spot and an url.

the other is to buy the IP logger if you have a router and have the Envoy connect to the router and so forth.

If you want it fancy. ( mine is a bit overdone, but you get the picture), then I would go with a serial logger. Some use the USB with no problems some have issues with the drivers but are solvable. I have the serial, the serial port because my computer is 8 years old.

IF you don't want to use the Weatherlink software, weatherdisplay makes a nice package for not much plus a lifetime of help.

An Idea of options:
Weatherlink
http://home.mchsi.com/~vantageprodata/Weat...e_Pro_Plus.html

Weatherdisplay http://home.mchsi.com/~dsmweather/

This post has been edited by Joseph Toubes: Jun 8 2008, 08:50 PM

+Quote Post
Spamiam
post Jun 8 2008, 09:28 PM
Post #4

OK, thanks for verifying the parts that I need. I am starting to make plans on what extra goodies I want, then I have to see how to afford them!

-Tony

+Quote Post
Removed_Member_Joseph Toubes_*
post Jun 8 2008, 09:36 PM
Post #5

Guests

QUOTE(Spamiam @ Jun 8 2008, 09:28 PM) *
OK, thanks for verifying the parts that I need. I am starting to make plans on what extra goodies I want, then I have to see how to afford them!

-Tony

Weather stations need a big red warning..."hazardous to your wallet" laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Spamiam
post Jun 10 2008, 08:12 AM
Post #6

I just did some checking. I found "wireless rs232 serial adapter" that looks as if it would work. They are not cheap, but less than an Envoy.

Also there is a "wireless USB adapter". This uses a hub on the computer, and a little device that looks like a flash drive at the external hardware (VP2 console). Belkin makes these things. But the prove is about $200.

This is apparently a new technology, and the price should come down soon (?). THis might be a reasonalble alternative to an Envoy. You still need to have the data logger, though.

-Tony

This post has been edited by Spamiam: Jun 10 2008, 08:12 AM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd October 2014 - 12:55 AM