Login to AccuWeather.com Premium Login to AccuWeather.com Professional Login to AccuWeather.com RadarPlus AccuWeather.com

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Worst Severe Storm To Hit Your Area, What is the worst storm to strike your area
yankees
post Jun 30 2008, 08:49 AM
Post #1

Group: Member
Member No.: 13,731

I actually have two one was on august 3rd 2006 around 6:30 pm a storm came through with severe straight line winds. It flipped over my outdoor table knocked pool rafts out of the pool and into the woods. it also knocked to very large tree limbs the size of small trees onto a neighbors house.it also knocked out power to other areas of town and downed many tress throughout town. however the worst storm i have ever seen occurred on june 16 2008. this storm hit at 7:00pm the sky became pitch black. the storm then hit it just began to hail the hail was very large half dollar size, also the winds picked up and blew every tree i could see sideways. the lightning would not stop striking i mean every second two bolts of lightning would strike. afterwards, i went out to survey the damage and boy was there some. my property had minor flooding and tree branches were down every where. some were quite large also two trees were down elsewere in my area one down on a nearby bike trail and the other on a nearby river.

--------------------
Summer Weather Safety
Summer is here and here are some tips to stay safe

Severe Weather
http://www.nws.noaa.gov/om/severeweather/index.shtml

Heat Safety
http://nws.noaa.gov/os/heat/index.shtml

09-10 43.5 inches ( Newly Updated from 39 inches)
10-11 60.5 inches
11-12 21 inches
12-13 45.5 inches
13-14 57 inches
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
I-95blizzard
post Jun 30 2008, 09:59 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 13,770

There was one on a date that I don't remember (I think 2005). It had intense rain and wind, and it was a violent electrical storm. Lightning struck a tree by my house twice.

The other one came on June 10 of this year. We had 2 straight hours of storms, with 3 inches of rain, 50 mph wind gusts, and penny-sized hail. We had lots of lightning, too.

--------------------
Lead forecaster for Foot's Forecast SE PA Team
Follow my forecasts for eastern PA on Twitter and Facebook

+Quote Post
dmc76
post Jun 30 2008, 01:05 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 12,129

1.It was April 1-6 2003, we had several days of Ice and Snow. There was over 100,000 customers without power for almost a week. At one point we had thunderstorm freezing Rain at 30 degrees. It was absolutely amazing weather. That would be the worst weather expierence that I could remember for Central and Eastern Michigan just 20 Miles North Detroit. Believe or not Detroit missed out on most of the Freezing Rain as Temps stayed around 33-34 degrees.

2. It was April 24-26 2005, A late spring Winter Snow storm to hit SE Michigan with up to 16 inches of snow and if it were all to stick it would have been nearly 30 inches of Snow!!!. This storm didnt do much damage but, given the fact it was the last weekend in April made it almost unbelievable.

3. Summer of 1999... Tornado outbreak and Severe weather outbreak in SE.Michigan. There was a Tornado in Hamtramck, Michigan just a few Miles north of Detroit in a very heavy populated area and Widespread damage across a lot of the area.

4. Jan 1999... Nearly 40 inches of snow fell in Detroit in just 10 days left the city buried in Snow. The City was trying to cut down on spending money and they thought the best thing to do was to cut cost on snow plows. Just the past summer saying it just doesnt snow very much in Detroit! So happens people were stuck on there own streets, airport was nearly shutdown for 3 days and traffic was a stand still... This was another black eye for Detroit and they have had a lot.

--------------------
Total Snowfall: 69.7" Biggest Storm: 2/2 11.0" Snow Depth 5"
Snow history: season average L.O 58"from 1995 to 2010

96-97 42.5 97-98 27.5 98-99 71.1" 99-00 44.3" 00-01 58.5" 01-02 47.6"02-03 52.2" 03-04 62.5" 04-05 86.0" 05-06 41.6"06-07 34.5"07-08 99.8"08-09 87.1" 2009/10 49.5"

+Quote Post
apeaslee
post Jun 30 2008, 04:46 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 14,376

i had 2 very severe events that hit my area,so i cant just name one at the moment that was any more severe than the other.i was hit with real bad severe violent supercell t-storms in late sept of 1990,it was really incredible,the most intense scary lightning storm i have ever seen and it happened late at night between 1150pm into 210am.i was hit in mid july 1995 by a derecheo at 7am in the morning,i had so much high dangerous battering winds and lightning and thunder that came in so fast and quick and got so intense and scary,and it became the most intense storm i have ever seen.i couldnt believe how intense and severe these 2 severe events were that hit my area,because they are the most best ones hit me that i will always remember.i never seen so much intense lightning bolts branching out across the sky every second late that night in late sept 1990,so much crackling of thunder constantly crashing and smashing all over the place with incredible torrential downpours and high winds.its funny how i got nailed by that supercell,because at first on twc and my local news channel when i was watching the weather and they said it was just regular t-storms and not a big deal at all at the time.then i get hit with incredible t-storms that i have ever seen before,then they went on for over 2hrs and the power was knocked out 5mins before it got real bad.then the 2nd severe weather event in mid july 1995,i was hit by a derecheo at 7am in the morning,the winds were so strong and powerfull outside that it quickly knocks the power out,the trees are bending half way over almost touching the ground with incredible intense lightning and thunder and tremendous tropical downpours as if as though i was behing annihalated outside by an intense hurricane.

+Quote Post
SEMIweather
post Jun 30 2008, 04:56 PM
Post #5

Group: SuperModerator
Member No.: 14,772

QUOTE(dmc76 @ Jun 30 2008, 02:05 PM) *
1.It was April 1-6 2003, we had several days of Ice and Snow. There was over 100,000 customers without power for almost a week. At one point we had thunderstorm freezing Rain at 30 degrees. It was absolutely amazing weather. That would be the worst weather expierence that I could remember for Central and Eastern Michigan just 20 Miles North Detroit. Believe or not Detroit missed out on most of the Freezing Rain as Temps stayed around 33-34 degrees.

2. It was April 24-26 2005, A late spring Winter Snow storm to hit SE Michigan with up to 16 inches of snow and if it were all to stick it would have been nearly 30 inches of Snow!!!. This storm didnt do much damage but, given the fact it was the last weekend in April made it almost unbelievable.

3. Summer of 1999... Tornado outbreak and Severe weather outbreak in SE.Michigan. There was a Tornado in Hamtramck, Michigan just a few Miles north of Detroit in a very heavy populated area and Widespread damage across a lot of the area.

4. Jan 1999... Nearly 40 inches of snow fell in Detroit in just 10 days left the city buried in Snow. The City was trying to cut down on spending money and they thought the best thing to do was to cut cost on snow plows. Just the past summer saying it just doesnt snow very much in Detroit! So happens people were stuck on there own streets, airport was nearly shutdown for 3 days and traffic was a stand still... This was another black eye for Detroit and they have had a lot.

I don't remember the last two (I was too young then) but I do remember the first two. That ice storm in '03 was just a killer. I remember getting my power back after three days, and considering myself lucky to get it back so quickly. Then that late season winter storm was crazy too. I remember being really mad because we got 16 inches of snow but no days off of school b/c none of it stuck to the roads! mad.gif

Some storms that come to mind:

For thunderstorms, they really all blend together, because most of my severe weather I've seen has been in the form of damaging winds, and all damaging wind events are really the same. Some I can think of immediately are the June 8th, 2008 derecho, the May 15th 2007 line of storms, and the May 21, 2004 derecho. I did have one memorable large hail event though, this year on the last day of school (June 13th, 2008) a supercell came through really early at about 7 a.m. this morning and hit me with nickel sized hail as I was riding the bus to school.

As for winter storms, how can I not mention the New Years Morning storm that hit SE Michigan this year. Memorable for the fact that Lake Orion had just about the highest snowfall totals in the state (I measured 14 inches at my house). Also memorable for the fact that all of this fell in SIX HOURS! ohmy.gif Snowfall rates approached 4 inches an hour at one point!

--------------------
University of Oklahoma Meteorology Major - Class of 2014

Follow me on Twitter.

+Quote Post
wxdude1964
post Jun 30 2008, 07:08 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 14,395

Worst weather event around here would be the Jan 6-7 1996 snowstorm that dropped 32 inches in 36 hours on me and 40+ inches in higher elevations around the county.

Second would be the early Oct (either 6 or 7th) 1979 snow that fell. Trees in full fall color with 5-8 inches of very wet snow. Lost power for 3 days. You could stand outside and it sounded like war games going on. Constant popping and falling of trees.

Last would be the July 1983 downburst just to my east. It went through a trailer park, toppling and flipping them like dominos. NWS est. winds in 80-90 mph range.

--------------------
Snowfall 2007-2008 season-11.4 inches
Snowfall 2008-2009 season-13.1 inches
Snowfall 2009-2010 season-68.6 inches
Snowfall 2010-2011 season-19.5 inches
Snowfall 2011-2012 season-16.5 inches.
Snowfall 2012-2013 season-25.9 inches.
Snowfall 2013-2014 season-41.1 inches.

+Quote Post
Removed_Member_wfreeck_*
post Jun 30 2008, 07:28 PM
Post #7

Guests

QUOTE(southeastmichiganweather @ Jun 30 2008, 05:56 PM) *
I don't remember the last two (I was too young then) but I do remember the first two. That ice storm in '03 was just a killer. I remember getting my power back after three days, and considering myself lucky to get it back so quickly. Then that late season winter storm was crazy too. I remember being really mad because we got 16 inches of snow but no days off of school b/c none of it stuck to the roads! mad.gif

Some storms that come to mind:

For thunderstorms, they really all blend together, because most of my severe weather I've seen has been in the form of damaging winds, and all damaging wind events are really the same. Some I can think of immediately are the June 8th, 2008 derecho, the May 15th 2007 line of storms, and the May 21, 2004 derecho. I did have one memorable large hail event though, this year on the last day of school (June 13th, 2008) a supercell came through really early at about 7 a.m. this morning and hit me with nickel sized hail as I was riding the bus to school.

As for winter storms, how can I not mention the New Years Morning storm that hit SE Michigan this year. Memorable for the fact that Lake Orion had just about the highest snowfall totals in the state (I measured 14 inches at my house). Also memorable for the fact that all of this fell in SIX HOURS! ohmy.gif Snowfall rates approached 4 inches an hour at one point!

For the 3rd one, dmc76 is thinking of 1997, I remember that one clearly. Oh, and Hamtramck is a town surrounded by Detroit. We think of it more as a Burrow rather than a separate town (like in NYC). smile.gif

The 4th one, I'm not sure where he dug that one up from. The highest snowfall total Detroit ever received was 23.5" inches, and that was in 1936.

As for severe weather, I don't have much to talk about.

The worst lightning storm I've ever seen was a afternoon/evening severe weather day across SE Michigan, where the lightning strikes had to approach 10 strikes per second. Another one was in 2006, adter a heat wave, some storms brewed around te region (really kinda dodged us) and you could see the lightning nearly 75 miles away. That following morning, a weakening derecho came theough (prompted an under-achieved watch) and dumped 1-2" of rain within 30 minutes. smile.gif

Then a couple years ago, we were out and about, then these purple clouds approached. Eventually, it strted getting light, but all of a sudden, it started pouring hail (strangely enough, there was no lightning).

Last year, a storm came through about 7:30 Pm in the evening, and it dumped nickel sized hail. Ironically, thre was another storm (it stalled out and flooded I-75, before moving far enough east to affect me before weakening) that covered the grass with nickel sized hail. I have pictures from that storm.

Then, there was the derecho od August 23rd & 24th. The one on the 23rd weakened as it came in, but had enough oomph to develop a strong thundertorm over me. The next evening, a line ofstrong thunderstorms developed around Grand Rapids, continued east until reaching Buffalo, NY. This same line spwaned a supercell thunderstorm which produced the F2 tornado in Fenton, MI. I saw my first rotating wall cloud that day.

Back to the winter

-On October 12, 2005, thunder snow squalls struck the region. Oddly enough, Detroit Metropolitan Airport clocked a Wind Gust of 50 MPH and had its earliest measured snowfall on record (to date). The craziest part is,the temperature was at 41F degrees. The flakes were huge as ever.

-During the Blizzard of '05, the region was only expected to get 6-10" from the storm. Instead, 12-14" fell right ove rthe city of Detroit as non-stop heavy snow continued from the overnight hours to mid afternoon at 2" per hour.

-During another snow storm, I'm minding my own business when I hear thunder. Next thing you know its nothing but white outside.

I have some more stories, but I'll save them for later. wink.gif

This post has been edited by wfreeck: Jun 30 2008, 07:44 PM

+Quote Post
wx4svr
post Jun 30 2008, 07:38 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 14,927

I'll make this plain and simple.......

April 3, 1974.

That is all.

--------------------
----------------------------------------------------
I'm a weather geek... what do you expect? ;)
wx4svr: Storm Chaser
I've been in a doughnut hole since:
February 5th, 2008

+Quote Post
dmc76
post Jun 30 2008, 07:46 PM
Post #9

QUOTE(wfreeck @ Jun 30 2008, 08:28 PM) *
For the 4th one, dmc76 is thinking of 1997, I remember that one clearly. Oh, and Hamtramck is a town surrounded by Detroit. We think of it more as a Burrow rather than a separate town (like in NYC). smile.gif

The 5th one=, I'm not sure where he fug that one up from. The highest snowfall total Detroit ever received was 23.5" inches, and that was in 1936.

As for severe weather, I don't have much to talk about.

The worst lightning storm I've ever seen was a afternoon/evening severe weather day across SE Michigan, where the lightning strikes had to approach 10 strikes per second. Another one was in 2006, adter a heat wave, some storms brewed around te region (really kinda dodged us) and you could see the lightning nearly 75 miles away. That following morning, a weakening derecho came theough (prompted an under-achieved watch) and dumped 1-2" of rain within 30 minutes. smile.gif

Then a couple years ago, we were out and about, then these purple clouds approached. Eventually, it strted getting light, but all of a sudden, it started pouring hail (strangely enough, there was no lightning).

Last year, a storm came through about 7:30 Pm in the evening, and it dumped nickel sized hail. Ironically, thre was another storm (it stalled out and flooded I-75, before moving far enough east to affect me before weakening) that covered the grass with nickel sized hail. I have pictures from that storm.

Then, there was the derecho od August 23rd & 24th. The one on the 23rd weakened as it came in, but had enough oomph to develop a strong thundertorm over me. The next evening, a line ofstrong thunderstorms developed around Grand Rapids, continued east until reaching Buffalo, NY. This same line spwaned a supercell thunderstorm which produced the F2 tornado in Fenton, MI. I saw my first rotating wall cloud that day.

Back to the winter

-On October 12, 2005, thunder snow squalls struck the region. Oddly enough, Detroit Metropolitan Airport clocked a Wind Gust of 50 MPH and had its earliest measured snowfall on record (to date). The craziest part is,the temperature was at 41F degrees. The flakes were huge as ever.

-During the Blizzard of '05, the region was only expected to get 6-10" from the storm. Instead, 12-14" fell right ove rthe city of Detroit as non-stop heavy snow continued from the overnight hours to mid afternoon at 2" per hour.

-During another snow storm, I'm minding my own business when I hear thunder. Next thing you know its nothing but white outside.

I have some more stories, but I'll save them for later. wink.gif

Detroit in jan 1999 ended up getting nearly 40 inches of snow that month... It all came in 10-14 day span and the worst snowfall for Detroit was 24.5 inches and it happened on april 1, 1905 which at 7am they measured 3.2"... then at 3pm they measured 17.5"!!!

--------------------

96-97 42.5 97-98 27.5 98-99 71.1" 99-00 44.3" 00-01 58.5" 01-02 47.6"02-03 52.2" 03-04 62.5" 04-05 86.0" 05-06 41.6"06-07 34.5"07-08 99.8"08-09 87.1" 2009/10 49.5"

+Quote Post
Removed_Member_wfreeck_*
post Jun 30 2008, 07:50 PM
Post #10

Guests

QUOTE(dmc76 @ Jun 30 2008, 08:46 PM) *
Detroit in jan 1999 ended up getting nearly 40 inches of snow that month... It all came in 10-14 day span and the worst snowfall for Detroit was 24.5 inches and it happened on april 1, 1905 which at 7am they measured 3.2"... then at 3pm they measured 17.5"!!!

Oh ok, that month. wink.gif

http://info.detnews.com/redesign/history/s...late.cfm?id=113

That's the storm that dumped 24.5" inches, in 1886. smile.gif

+Quote Post
dmc76
post Jun 30 2008, 07:58 PM
Post #11

QUOTE(wfreeck @ Jun 30 2008, 08:50 PM) *
Oh ok, that month. wink.gif

http://info.detnews.com/redesign/history/s...late.cfm?id=113

That's the storm that dumped 24.5" inches, in 1886. smile.gif

i was a little off on that 1886 storm tongue.gif

How bad do wish that storm would happen again!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Removed_Member_wfreeck_*
post Jun 30 2008, 08:00 PM
Post #12

Guests

QUOTE(dmc76 @ Jun 30 2008, 08:58 PM) *
i was a little off on that 1886 storm tongue.gif

How bad do wish that storm would happen again!

Not as bad as I wish to see Softball sized hail. tongue.gif

+Quote Post
dmc76
post Jun 30 2008, 08:04 PM
Post #13

QUOTE(wfreeck @ Jun 30 2008, 09:00 PM) *

I would take 25 inch snowfall any day of the week then a major Hail storm.

--------------------

+Quote Post
futurestormchase...
post Jun 30 2008, 09:11 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 13,751

In louisville since i didnt get to experience the 1974 outbreak id probably say the 04 severe storms. If any other people in louisville remember that it was in may i think. the day started out sunny and very warm and humid and then scattered storms developed out west of us round the dubois county in indiana area. They made there over here becoming supercells producing damaging hail and tornado warnings everywhere. I remember louisville was under a tornado warning for most of the day and didnt get anything lol. Then those moved and we kept getting heavy rain showers through the evening. I thought for sure the instability was gone then i turned 84whas radio to here belski saying louisville is under a pds tornado watch which is extremly rare for us and a line was marching toward us and was likely going to be severe. Well that night around midnight the line moved in we got under another tornado warning and of course didnt get a tornado but we a saw a funnel cloud heading right for us we ran down in the basement thinking the funnel cloud was going to touchdown right on us. Well it never did but we got very intense winds id say around 75 mph which is the strongest ive ever seen not counting a tropical storm ive been through in florida.

The above radar image shows numerous small supercells across southern Indiana and northern Kentucky during the afternoon of May 30th. At the time of this image, the storm that spawned the Marengo tornado was located in extreme northern Crawford County. At one point, most of these storms shown across southern Indiana had some rotation.

By the way those were the days we havent had a good outbreak like since that. Id say we prob. wont experience another like that one. But it sure was fun

This post has been edited by futurestormchaser9: Jun 30 2008, 09:21 PM
Attached image(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
Louisville Kentucky No.1 donut hole

CANT WAIT FOR SPRING 2011

+Quote Post
NTXchaser
post Jun 30 2008, 09:49 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 14,575

QUOTE(wfreeck @ Jun 30 2008, 08:00 PM) *

We got room in the plains for you!!! laugh.gif

Largest one here in the DFW area was May 5,1995. Baseball and Softball sized hail though much of DFW.

This year, we had a night-time derecho with 90+ mile an hour winds. That was an early rise.

--------------------
Australian weather freak, living in Chicago.

OFFICIAL DENVER BRONCOS ACCUWEATHER FAN

+Quote Post
centralplainssto...
post Jun 30 2008, 10:36 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 14,578

QUOTE(wfreeck @ Jun 30 2008, 08:00 PM) *

hahah ok ,
but softball sized hail is kinda not fun, but then it is
lol

--------------------
Boy, this spring's severe weather season hopefully will be a good one!

+Quote Post
CentralIllinois
post Jul 2 2008, 10:55 AM
Post #17

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 14,540

ice storm in central and southwestern illinois a couple years back

--------------------

WCIA_dfabert Forecast is much more believeable! Notice that the legend has changed! #cILwx

^
After 1 model run

2013-2014
# of Severe Thunderstorm Watches: 4
# of Severe Thunderstorm Warnings:3
# of Tornado Watches:0
# of Tornado Warnings:1

2013-2014 Snowfall:42.8"
2012-2013 Snowfall: 24.4"

Note to Accuweather.com....Please give us a dedicated video blogger for the Plains/MW/OV/GL area!

+Quote Post
ChiWxWatcher
post Jul 28 2008, 05:53 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 13,447

June 7th,2008. I was on this very forum,not expecting much,next thing you know,there's a tornado just outside my house. ohmy.gif Yeah. It was quite large actually. 1/2 of a mile.

This post has been edited by ChiWxWatcher: Jul 28 2008, 05:54 PM

--------------------
June 7th-My First Tornado.
Formerly msweather!
Well I don't quite trust the...

*Never Accurate Model (NAM)

or

*Even Crazier Model With Foolishness. (ECMWF)

(J/K)

Members I love:
1:Joe/Chicago Storm ----->The one with the most posts...he's great!
2:MissMarisia:She's a great mod!
3:Jesse/WeatherMatrix:Great Moderater and blogger.

If you don't mind voting for me....

+Quote Post
kunak
post Aug 7 2008, 08:55 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 15,309

Prob Sept 7 1998 the New York Labor Day Derecho as its called hit us at around 2 pm and it was very scary because I was little lol

+Quote Post
Envy
post Aug 22 2008, 02:47 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 14,579

The only really destructive storm I've ever seen was that ice storm in December. I don't know if that counts as a severe thunderstorm, but it had lightning. laugh.gif

I haven't had much experience with warm weather thunderstorms being really bad. I'm very fortunate for that, living in Tornado Alley, I suppose. The worst I saw was this April, in the middle of the night, all of the sudden a little bit bigger than golf ball sized hail started falling. It didn't cause any damage around that I could see, surprisingly.

We also had a pretty bad storm back in 2002. The trees in our yard were damaged and the branches were in our neighbor's yard, some fences were blown over, etc.

But... Nothing beats the ice storm. We almost lost both of cars, and the trees are really deformed still. One tree in the front yard was split in half, and it's still alive with leaves. laugh.gif

--------------------
I'm a cold weather lover stuck in a place where summer dominates and even winter has warm temperatures.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st November 2014 - 08:19 AM