Login to AccuWeather.com Premium Login to AccuWeather.com Professional Login to AccuWeather.com RadarPlus AccuWeather.com

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

66 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Upstate New York DiScussion Thread, Talk About Weather In Upstate New York
Removed_Member_snowmaninbuffalo_*
post Aug 23 2008, 11:44 PM
Post #1

Guests

Talk about weather events/storms or forecast weather for Upstate New York.

(Buffalo,Rochester,Syracuse,Watertown,Massena,Jame
town)

Pictures are always welcome wink.gif

Thanks And Enjoy!

This post has been edited by snowmaninbuffalo: Aug 23 2008, 11:45 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
post Aug 25 2008, 02:19 PM
Post #2

Guests

It's a COLD day here in Upstate,NY. Highs in many areas not getting out of the 60s. Lows in many areas tonight in the lower 40s with even some upper 30s in elevations above 3000 feet. wink.gif

+Quote Post
post Sep 21 2008, 03:44 PM
Post #3

Guests

GFS Fantasy range showing snow nearing WNY.

+Quote Post
smadsen8486
post Sep 23 2008, 06:31 PM
Post #4

Group: Founding Member
Member No.: 1,628

Hey Devin,

It'sThe General from the GSB. Yeah the GFS has been trying to throw us some fun things to look at long range for a run or two before tossing the idea out the window. Not to much longer to wait for the real action to get going for us. I thinking we'll see a light snowfall or two in October before things turn really interesting. I'll have my predictions up on the GSB site October 1st, feel free to comment your own thoughts and maybe we can have a little snowfall guessing contest this year. I should have some interesting reports this season as I'm now working down in Springville and will have some more snow to report back on then previous season.

+Quote Post
post Sep 23 2008, 07:07 PM
Post #5

Guests

QUOTE(smadsen8486 @ Sep 23 2008, 08:31 PM) *
Hey Devin,

It'sThe General from the GSB. Yeah the GFS has been trying to throw us some fun things to look at long range for a run or two before tossing the idea out the window. Not to much longer to wait for the real action to get going for us. I thinking we'll see a light snowfall or two in October before things turn really interesting. I'll have my predictions up on the GSB site October 1st, feel free to comment your own thoughts and maybe we can have a little snowfall guessing contest this year. I should have some interesting reports this season as I'm now working down in Springville and will have some more snow to report back on then previous season.

Sounds fun! I'm down with the contest... where would you like to have it? forums ?your website? my website? anything you'd like.

I'm stuck up here in Amherst where were lucky to get 100 inches per year. Springville gets double =[ .

+Quote Post
smadsen8486
post Sep 24 2008, 08:07 PM
Post #6

Group: Founding Member
Member No.: 1,628

To one and all:

Feel free to drop by www.goldensnowball.com and submit your upstate NY 2008-2009 "snowcasting" predicitions! Someone needs to dethrown my two year reign of snowcasting dominance!

+Quote Post
apeaslee
post Sep 25 2008, 03:47 AM
Post #7

Group: Member
Member No.: 14,376

well even though im in pittsfield,ma.upstate ny is only 20 minute drive to the west of me thru west pittsfield,then thru hancock,ma and up and over the mountain,then halfway down the other side you enter upstate ny.so the berkshires are characterized and considered a part of upstate ny and in the capitol region of albany,the nws in albany serves my area for more than 30yrs,and all watches and warnings and forecasts come from them.the nws in albany could possibly put my area under a flood watch for late friday afternoon into late saturday night for the potential of heavy duty tropical rains resulting in flooding during that time period,so they could issue this flood watch anytime from this mid afternoon and noontime friday.so far no real hard frosts or hard freezes have come in here yet.i did have lows in the mid 30s a week ago during thursday night into friday morning,and again friday night into saturday morning.so the morning low last friday morning was 36.4 degrees,then early last saturday morning was 35.3 degrees.the ground was covered in heavy dew,i had dense fog both mornings,i didnt have any killer frost or freeze just yet.so therefor,my growing season still continues,i was still able to grab some more silver queen from my garden,tomotoes,peas,onions and dug up alotta excellent pototoes.i can see some leafs on trees are changing color,but 99% of all trees are still enriched in dark green color.i always see some trees change color sooner than others,they seem to always change alot sooner than all the rest does into brilliant fall foliage colors.so it looks like its atleast 3 weeks or so by the time reach peak fall foliage colors,and that would be about the 3rd weekend of october.the swimming season has definitely ended a couple of weeks ago when the big cool airmasses ushered in here knocking air temps in the 60s and 70s during the day, and night time lows in the 40s with some mid 30s.

+Quote Post
apeaslee
post Sep 26 2008, 04:11 PM
Post #8

so after a sunny day yesterday with air temps at 68.6 degrees for a high yesterday during early afternoon.the clouds quickly rolled in here in eastern ny in albany over into pittsfield,the model runs indicate most heavy rains from the catskills of ny thru the mid husdon valley and pittsfield,and north of pittsfield into central and southern vt from early friday morning into early friday afternoon with upwards of an inch of rain expected.my rain gauge measures 0.85 tenths of an inch of rain as of 2pm this afternoon.rain over spread the area from albany,nassau into pittsfield during 4am this morning,then heavy rain moves in here by 445am into 1245pm,with a pretty good soaking.but this was only the beginning as to what is yet to really hit the area with a real good drenching rainstorm beginning mid-late saturday afternoon,especially saturday night into early sunday morning with the possibility of 4 inches of rain or more,but alot more rain can fall in the mountainous area where it gets better squeezed out and direct fetch off of the atlantic ocean.the subtropical system that developed over southwest atlantic has sent in moisture off of the atlantic into the area,the subtropical low is over north carolina,and still moving a bit westward in its very slow movement.then a new tropical storm has formed north of puerto rico moving northwestward,tropical storm kyle is expected to keep moving northwestward over the next several hours,then when off of mid-atlantic coast and move northward up into new england.so depending on how close kyle gets to my area in pittsfield,and it will all depend on how much heavy duty tropical rains pushes in here saturday afternoon into saturday night,while the subtropical low over north carolina should be moving into the area right behind kyle hits the area.

+Quote Post
apeaslee
post Sep 29 2008, 07:26 AM
Post #9

the heavy rains turned out to be not that bad at all saturday afternoon into saturday night and early sunday morning,because at first my area was expected to get nailed with 3-4 inches of rain or more late saturday afternoon into sunday morning.but i was completely missed by the heavy rains for that time period.i did get rain from very early friday morning into early friday afternoon with almost 1 inch of rain from that.i havnt had any killing frost or freeze that has ended the growing season,the growing season is alive and well and thriving more than ever before with everything still growing good in the gardens aswell as all the different kinds of flowers and trees and such.i have a frontal boundry heading my way from the great lakes with a possible t-storms and rain for wednesday afternoon.but right now,the cooler and less humid airmass has been ushering in here since 6am this morning as the winds been blowing pretty good from the northwest and the clouds swept outta here from the northwest which showed the cooler and less humid airmass is here.i can see its rather clouds north/south and west albany,i noticed on sat pic imagery animation the clouds seem to be drifting to the west which is allowing pretty good clearing skys with abundance of sunshine outside right now.

+Quote Post
apeaslee
post Sep 30 2008, 03:37 AM
Post #10

i have clear skys and chilly conditions last night into this morning,but no frost or killing freeze has happened that ended the growing season,therefor my growing season still continues.i was beginning to wonder if my growing season was gonna come to an end friday night into saturday morning or saturday night into sunday morning,but it looks like right now that this will not be the case,because of clouds and breezy conditions preventing the air temps from free falling both those nights and early morning hours this weekend.so it looks like a beautiful day today with abundance of sunshine pleasantly mild air temps in the mid-upper 60s and maybe lower 70s.then tonight,i might get some rain and t-storms.but since its night time when the potential exists for t-storms,im not certain about t-storm activity.so it looks more like rain tonight into tomorrow.then cooler weather friday into the weekend.i can see more and more tree leafs changing color all over the area,it looks like my area is about 15% into fall foliage,so i still have a long ways to go for peak fall foliage colors.but i would imagine after this shot of much cooler airmass coming in here this weekend will really help the fall foliage expand alot more

+Quote Post
apeaslee
post Oct 2 2008, 04:28 PM
Post #11

the weather sure is changing alot these past 2 days of october,infact its changing so much that indeed it looks like my growing season will come to an end this weekend.because either way you look at it,i have a chance for a hard frost from tomorrow night into monday night.the weather has been rather changeable the past couple of days with a closed low off to my north with spokes of energy rotating around it and coming through albany,nassau into pittsfield with heavy bursts of rain and windy conditions hitting the area a few times each afternoon yesterday and today.the sun would come out blazing and gets things cranking up,then i get hit several times with heavy downpours and windy conditions,while the air temps keep on falling yesterday and today.i was hit pretty good today several times this afternoon with torrential downpours and heavy winds,then the airmass got colder after the last bout of rain pushed through.it looks like the closed low will be nearby effecting my area with spokes of energy rotating around it,and when the sun comes out and cooks things up and get nailed with heavy downpours tomorrow afternoon.but this weekend into early next week,i will have a few chances getting nailed with hard frost.my air temps outside right now are 47.1 degrees as of 630pm

+Quote Post
post Oct 2 2008, 06:03 PM
Post #12

Guests

QUOTE(apeaslee @ Oct 2 2008, 06:28 PM) *
the weather sure is changing alot these past 2 days of october,infact its changing so much that indeed it looks like my growing season will come to an end this weekend.because either way you look at it,i have a chance for a hard frost from tomorrow night into monday night.the weather has been rather changeable the past couple of days with a closed low off to my north with spokes of energy rotating around it and coming through albany,nassau into pittsfield with heavy bursts of rain and windy conditions hitting the area a few times each afternoon yesterday and today.the sun would come out blazing and gets things cranking up,then i get hit several times with heavy downpours and windy conditions,while the air temps keep on falling yesterday and today.i was hit pretty good today several times this afternoon with torrential downpours and heavy winds,then the airmass got colder after the last bout of rain pushed through.it looks like the closed low will be nearby effecting my area with spokes of energy rotating around it,and when the sun comes out and cooks things up and get nailed with heavy downpours tomorrow afternoon.but this weekend into early next week,i will have a few chances getting nailed with hard frost.my air temps outside right now are 47.1 degrees as of 630pm

Im just wondering why are you posting in the Upstate NEW YORK thread when you live in MA?

But... anyways, lake effect is really starting to pick up. Even a few flakes mixing in on the hilltops.
Attached File(s)
Attached File  Animated_Web_Radar.gif ( 1.04MB ) Number of downloads: 0

+Quote Post
apeaslee
post Oct 2 2008, 10:05 PM
Post #13

QUOTE(snowmaninbuffalo @ Oct 2 2008, 08:03 PM) *
Im just wondering why are you posting in the Upstate NEW YORK thread when you live in MA?

But... anyways, lake effect is really starting to pick up. Even a few flakes mixing in on the hilltops.

because its pretty much upstate ny as i mentioned before.if you look at a map,pittsfield is only 20 minutes away from upstate ny and albany is only 45 minutes away.the past 30yrs or more,most people in this area come from albany,schenectady,troy,nassau,poughkeepsie,nyc and the 5 burroughs,njc and pa aswell as ct.im in the capitol region of albany,ny.the nws in albany serves my area.you should also see that boston is a 3.5hr drive to the east of me,the nws in taunton,ma is over 4hrs away from me and they do not serve my area weather wise,what i see on tv and hear on radio most of its from albany.the stores here,when they get deliverys,it comes from nyc into albany and then pittsfield.time warner cable is in schenectady,ny and this is how i get my cable.my weather isnt that much different than down the road in albany and the national weather service in albany serves my area,plus the local channels from albany do my weather too

+Quote Post
apeaslee
post Oct 2 2008, 10:15 PM
Post #14

QUOTE(snowmaninbuffalo @ Oct 2 2008, 08:03 PM) *

i seen the lake effect rain showers and t-storms myself from the radar off of lake ontario coming down the mohawk valley,albany got some rain showers,but over here in pittsfield in the berkshires,we go hit with the most heavy rains and very windy conditions.i didnt know snow flakes fell in the mountains over in western ny.but over here in eastern ny in the capitol region,i didnt see or hear about any,but it sure wouldnt surprise me if snow flakes fell on top of mount greylock during the past month and especially this afternoon as air temps got colder.my air temps right now are 39.5 degrees as of 1216am,so its certainly getting colder here,but i probably wont see any snow flakes around here till next month.its hard to believe we are talking about snow already lol

+Quote Post
apeaslee
post Oct 3 2008, 07:30 AM
Post #15

it seems as though a cold front is coming my way with rain showers,so i got a chance of showers during mid-late this morning,then rain showers re-developing this afternoon.but late this afternoon into tonight is when the much cooler airmass will push in here for the weekend into early next week.my air temps never did fall any lower than 39.5 degrees overnight/early this morning,infact the clouds rolled in and the air temps recovered a bit.so far today is one of the coldest days of the season so far,you can really feel and notice how much colder the airmass is outside.the cold airmass was sinking in here so much mid-late yesterday afternoon into the evening that i had no other choice but to fire up the woodstove for the first time last night,i still have the woodstove going right now because its cloudy,windy and cold outside.but so far this cold airmass still hasnt ended my growing season,but i get a funny feeling that this weekend into next week at night into the following morning i will be hit hard frosts ending my growing season.but untill then,all different kinds of flowers are growing,the flower gardens are still growing strong,the peas,tomotoes,onions,squash and others are still growing strong in the garden.its mostly cloudy,breezy and cold outside with rain showers expected over the next several hours.my air temps are 47.1 degrees as of 932am,while my dewpoints are42.5 degrees

+Quote Post
apeaslee
post Oct 3 2008, 04:19 PM
Post #16

the cold front has swept thru the area late this morning/early after as i mentioned this morning,i was hit with a pretty good torrential downpour and heavy winds.the winds dont seem as strong as they were earlier,the skys have really cleared off during the past 3.5hrs.so with clear skys,calm conditions,my air temps should easily drop into the lower 30s tonight into early tomorrow resulting in the possibility of a frost.but depending how much frost hits the area,it will depend on how long the growing season will continue.because in order for the growing season to come to an end,i need a good 6hrs of air temps at 28 degrees or lower for a hard frost or killing freeze.my air temps are expeccted to drop like a rock tonight with air temps down in the lower 30's.my air temps finally did break 50 degrees during 230-3pm.my air temps been falling back ever since,my air temps are 48.2 degrees as of 621pm.

+Quote Post
apeaslee
post Oct 4 2008, 04:27 AM
Post #17

so far no hard frost has come in here this morning,i just have heavy wet dew outside.my air temps of 34 and 35 degrees a few weeks ago were colder than this morning,so those are still the 2 coldest mornings so far this season.my low this morning was 37.5 degrees as of 540am.i can see some lake effect rain showers off of lake ontario heading eastward,so its not moving southeast down the mohawk valley then make it possible for me to see snowflakes for the first time this season,because it sure does feel plenty cold enough outside to snow,so luckily no nor'easters are not deepening rapidly off of the nj coast.but right now,i do have alot of cloud debri drifting in here from the northwest,so it has become mostly cloudy over the past half hour so that i know of.the clouds are probably coming in here from the lake effect rain and snow hitting tug hill plateu,oswego county and eastward just off to the northwest of albany and pittsfield.its cloudy outside,my air temps are exactly 39 degrees as of 628,while my dewpoints are 35.5 degrees,well it looks like any precip were to fall in my area will be all rain

+Quote Post
apeaslee
post Oct 5 2008, 05:19 AM
Post #18

so far this mornings low air temps of 34.6 degrees is the coldest air temps of this season along with the 34.2 degrees that happened back a few weeks ago durng the weekend.my growing season still hasnt ended,my peas,squash,swisscharge,tomototoes and others are still growing strong outside this morning.i can see at some of the trees that are 40-60ft high alotta the leafs on the trees are wilted,this would indicate frost hit those trees that are real tall.i could imagine all the hard frosts and hard freezes thats been happening on top of mount greylock just a 10 minute ride up the street from me,because they are usually 25 to sometimes 30 degrees colder up on top of the mountain than down here in northern pittsfield.so no frost this morning,i just have heavy dew outside.its supposed to be sunny today with clouds increasing mid-late afternoon,my air temps should crack 60 degrees with no problem.then cloudy tonight with possible rain showers,i can see on radar a pretty good batch of rain that pushed over nyc into li,ny aswell as to the north of nyc heading northeastward.because it sure has been pouring in nyc for more than a couple of hours as noted on www.earthcam.com at the timessquare webcam.my air temps are 35.5 degrees as of 720am,while my dewpoints are 32.1

+Quote Post
apeaslee
post Oct 6 2008, 08:00 AM
Post #19

well yesterday turned out to be a real beautiful day with alotta sunshine by late morning into the afternoon till sundown.so my air temps exceeded 70 degrees sunday afternoon,and went to 75.5 degrees at 210pm for a high yesterday.the clouds came in last night from a cold front falling from north to south,but my air temps did fall into the 30s anyways this morning.so i had a morning low of 38.6 degrees at 550am this morning.i have a bout of moderate to heavy rain on the way for the next couple of hours,then i should be having clearing skys this afternoon and much cooler airmass ushers into the region.so its going colder again from this afternoon into thursday morning,but it will also get mild again thursday and friday with air temps rebounding back into the mid 60s.my air temps are 43 degrees as of 10am,while my dewpoints are 39 degrees.the leafs on many trees in the area really beginning to change color,i would have to say 50% of the trees are changing colors,but i still have a ways to go yet for full foliage colors

+Quote Post
apeaslee
post Oct 6 2008, 04:09 PM
Post #20

well this airmass thats been ushering in here this afternoon has certainly been feeling alot like a winter airmass,this is certainly feeling like the coldest airmass so far this season.i have pretty good chances for hard frosts tonight into tomorrow morning,then again tuesday night into wednesday morning.so i need clear skys,calm conditions for the air temps to plunge tonight and tomorrow night.i picked up a quick 0.25 quarter of an inch of rain earlier today.then the sun came out blazing by early afternoon,and its been sunny all day long,it looks as though the winds are beginning to calm down recently,so i should have calm winds after sunset and especially during this evening into tonight and through tomorrow with clear skys and my air temps should drop near 28 degrees.but see,i need my air temps to be around 29-30 degrees by 11pm or shortly there after,so that ways it will be 28 degrees by midnight.then between midnight-6am will be the coldest part of the night and early morning hours,therefor its 28 degrees by midnight,and it will be 28 degrees or lower from midnight-6am with a real good hard frost.but if this doesnt happen,then i wont see a hard frost at all tonight into tomorrow morning,and my growing season will still continue or my growing season is all over an done with by 6am tomorrow morning.but what will really end the growing season everywhere is a hard freeze with air temps between 17-22 degrees from 10pm thru 7am.but it sure does look like a pretty good jump in air temps thursday and friday with air temps into the 70s.my air temps are 46.2 degrees as of 611pm,while my dewpoints are 37.5 degrees and clear skys

+Quote Post

66 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd September 2014 - 06:37 AM