Login to AccuWeather.com Premium Login to AccuWeather.com Professional Login to AccuWeather.com RadarPlus AccuWeather.com

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Best Winter Storm Of Your Lifetime?, Which Winter Storm Treated Your Area The Best?
Removed_Member_wfreeck_*
post Aug 28 2008, 09:09 PM
Post #1

Guests

Which winter storm would you say impressed you & really gave a wallop to your area. For example, the storm has crazy snowfall rates, totals, wind gusts, etc.

I only have one candidate this time. tongue.gif

*Blizzard of 2005 - This was the same storm that pummeled New England with 2-3' of snow. Here in Detroit, we were expected to get 6 - 10" total. When I went to sleep, there was no snow on the ground (I think it just started). When I got up the next morning, I look outside & see a reasonable amount of snow. I say "ok, we got our 6". So, I go outside & try to start shoveling the snow, and I nearly fell on my face whneI discovered it was knee deep. Come to find out, heavy snow continued for much of that day (non-stop) and while most areas in SE Michigan received 8 - 10", the city of Detroit picked up 14". I was like "wow, this is just amazing, I never would have thought this could happen to me...".

This post has been edited by wfreeck: Aug 28 2008, 09:09 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
DomNH
post Aug 28 2008, 09:12 PM
Post #2

Group: SuperModerator
Member No.: 11,976

Blizzard of '96.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Removed_Member_Bl1zzard_*
post Aug 28 2008, 09:16 PM
Post #3

Guests

I think it was january of 1999 when we got just over two feet at my house. It was the only storm of this nature I can remember. I was watching the local forecast on the weather channel and the radar showed a bright purple area of returns stretching from lake michigan back through wisconsin. That got to us around mid-day. My dad and I were playing risk. It was really windy too. After about an hour our driveway looked like one of those dairy cows, lots of drifted snow with pockets of the black asphalt in between. By evening there was about 4 or 5 inches. When I got up in the morning there was almost 18" and by mid-day that sunday we had about 25". The drift in front of my garage was up near the top of the door. It was 6' high there. Some places on the walk had only an inch of snow though because of the drifting. We had piles and piles of snow, it was so cool. I don't remember any of the forecasts for that one, but the result was amazing. By far the most snow I've ever seen in one storm. We had school off january 3rd and 4th. This one started on new years day I guess. Winter break ended on the 2nd but we had the first two days back, off anyway.

A couple other good ones fell on my birthday. I had snowdays on my birthday 3/5 six times through 12th grade. It seemed almost every year we got a heavy storm the night of my birthday and the day after we had off.

This post has been edited by Bl1zzard: Aug 28 2008, 09:17 PM

+Quote Post
MAG5035
post Aug 28 2008, 09:33 PM
Post #4

Group: Member
Member No.: 12,487

If i wouldn't have been only turning 7 years old March 14, 1993.. I would say hands down that the Blizzard of 93 is the best winter storm of my lifetime. Well.. it was, the superstorm was just on a whole different level of insane, but i very vaguely remember the details. I just remember i was stuck at my grandparents being one very unhappy camper that my bday party was canceled. Some of the stories i've heard from the guys i've worked with at penndot in the summertime that we're there for that storm are just unreal.

So since i can't call upon my photgraphic memory for the 93 storm, I will say the 2003 presidents day storm was the best for me.

Attached Image

I measured 27 inches of snow with this storm at my house, and it was Colorado champagne power snow, as the storms entirety had temps in the teens.

--------------------
Michael Glunt
PSU grad
B.S Meteorology/GIS minor

MLWX Forecasting
forecasts by MAG5035 and LoganTyler

+Quote Post
QuietCorner
post Aug 29 2008, 06:19 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 14,267

Cannot forget the Bizzard of 78, I was only 7 at the time but 34 inches of snow in my South Central Mass town seemed like walls of snow as my father tried to keep up snow blowing the driveway. Of recent memory, I think the storms in January into February of 1996 stand out as being a very snowy period in my area. What a winter that was!

+Quote Post
wxdude1964
post Aug 29 2008, 06:36 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 14,395

This actually is easy- The January 1996 storm dropped 33 inches of snow at my house, and parts of my county above 3500 feet were closer to 4 feet! Simply amazing, snow fell for 2+ days straight, light at first with a couple of inches falling over a 12+- period. Then things picked up, and we received heavy snow for hours on end. My work closed for only the second time ever (first time was 1993 storm) and good thing as a part of our roof fell in from the weight of the snow!

This post has been edited by wxdude1964: Aug 29 2008, 06:40 AM

--------------------
Snowfall 2007-2008 season-11.4 inches
Snowfall 2008-2009 season-13.1 inches
Snowfall 2009-2010 season-68.6 inches
Snowfall 2010-2011 season-19.5 inches
Snowfall 2011-2012 season-16.5 inches.
Snowfall 2012-2013 season-25.9 inches.

+Quote Post
Removed_Member_snowmaninbuffalo_*
post Aug 29 2008, 08:50 AM
Post #7

Guests

In my lifetime it was the blizzard of 2001 which dropped 82.3 inches of snow in 4 days from December 24,2001 to December 28,2001.It treated us great and shut down the city for days. I remember trying to get my grandpas car out. it took us 4 and half hours to dig it out. I also remember the snow piles on the side of the road being as tall as 2 story houses. It was a great experience and I will always remember it.

Heres the snow totals for Erie County in Western New York

...ERIE COUNTY...
.CHEEKTOWAGA (NWS). 81.6 INCHES
.WEST SENECA....... 72 INCHES
.LANCASTER......... 68 INCHES
.DEPEW............. 66 INCHES
.CLARENCE.......... 56 INCHES
.BUFFALO (SOUTH)... 63 INCHES
.BUFFALO (DOWNTOWN) 52 INCHES
.BUFFALO (NORTH)... 49 INCHES
.AMHERST (SNYDER).. 55 INCHES
.AMHERST (WMSVL)... 53 INCHES
.AMHERST (GETZVL).. 46 INCHES
.BOSTON............ 48 INCHES
.KENMORE........... 46 INCHES
.TONAWANDA (TOWN).. 45 INCHES
.EDEN.............. 43 INCHES
.ELMA.............. 43 INCHES
.GRAND ISLAND...... 40 INCHES
.EAST AURORA....... 38 INCHES
.COLDEN............ 37 INCHES
.HAMBURG........... 37 INCHES
.ORCHARD PARK...... 36 INCHES

Here are some images of the storm that I found on BuffaloWaterfront.com

Also a radar image of the storm from the NWS in Buffalo,NY

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Removed_Member_Garrett_*
post Aug 29 2008, 10:26 AM
Post #8

Guests

I would say the "Day After Christmas Storm" that happened on December 26th, 2004. We received 14 and 1/2 inches with that storm. I would have said the 1993 super storm or the blizzard of 1996 but I was too young to remember the 96 one and I was not born when the super storm occurred.

+Quote Post
hurricane
post Aug 29 2008, 10:42 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 12,094

For me....the Storm of 93 was amazing, but the one that most sticks in my mind was 2001...February....It snowed so hard that I could not see in front of me when driving home from work.....It was a pretty localized storm total, but in East longmeadow, Ma ( Springfield ) we recieved close to 30 inches! I was so amazed at the intensity of the Snow. I remember we opened the door for out Pomeranian and she would not go out, so we picked her up, and placed her in the Snow.......She disappeared for about 10 seconds, and just when I was going to rescue her, she popped her head up through the Snow, and we snapped a picture of it. Need less to say, she wasn't very happy with us, but it's a memory we will never forget!

+Quote Post
joesnow
post Aug 29 2008, 01:57 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 12,305

blizzard of 96 for me, at the time i was eye level with the snow,(i was 3) it would be nice to see that again!

--------------------
MODELS
http://www.srh.noaa.gov/ssd/nwpmodel/html/ecmwf.htm

Freehold New jersey

JOE

what will winter 08-09 be like without weatherwarrior?

+Quote Post
yankees
post Aug 29 2008, 03:48 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 13,731

blizzard of 03 was the best it produced between 20-24 inches. the only other one nearly as good was the blizzard of 06. the best storm ever though is a tie between the blizzard of 03 and the blizzard of 96 which brought 22 inches.

--------------------
Winter Weather Safety
Winter is here and here are some tips to stay safe

Winter Driving Safety Tips
http://www.weather.com/activities/driving/...ytips/snow.html

Winter Storm Safety
http://emergency.cdc.gov/disasters/winter/

Snow Events
12/10 2 inches
12/14-12/15 5.5 inches
12/17 2.5 inches
12/24 1.5 inches
1/3 5.5 inches
1/10 1.5 inches
1/18 4.5 inches
1/21-1/22 3.5 inches
1/25 2 inches
2/3 4 inches
2/5 8 inches
2/9 1 inch
2/13 12.5 inches
2/15 1.5 inches
Total 55.5 inches

09-10 43.5 inches ( Newly Updated from 39 inches)
10-11 60.5 inches
11-12 21 inches
12-13 45.5

+Quote Post
SnowMan11
post Aug 29 2008, 06:44 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 14,017

Blizzard of 96, Presidents day storm of 2003, and Blizzard of 06.

--------------------
LETS GO METS

+Quote Post
Envy
post Aug 29 2008, 07:27 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 14,579

You guys are making me so jealous. Anything over a foot is completely unheard of around here... Even a foot is unheard of around here. I do believe the most we've gotten within the last few years was six inches, and it melted within a few hours due to it getting pretty warm the next day.

But I just love when the meteorologists on the TV are wrong, it just makes the fact that the storm was big even better.

Back in December of 2002, I remember a snow storm that was predicted to give us less than an inch. When the snow started falling it was those huge snowflakes and it amounted to one inch in no time. In total there was 8 or so inches. Actually I don't even remember to be honest but it was quite a lot for here.

This is making me sad... I want winter and it's snow storms to come now. sad.gif

And then, of course, there was the ice storm of last December. The meteorologists did not take it seriously at all, and neither did the people at my college. It was going to be the week of finals, and one of my friends asked "What happens if this ice storm is a problem." and the teacher responded "This college never closes, it won't be bad." My private lesson instructor also made a similar response when I asked "What if there actually is an ice storm?"

I spent the day that I should have been studying over at my friends house. It was midnight and her parents were saying that there had already been freezing rain... Which was not what they predicted, it wasn't supposed to be below freezing at that point. (it wasn't supposed to go below freezing for like 24 hours.) Driving home it was a thunderstorm... but it was freezing rain, with a lot of lightning. When I got home the cars outside were covered with a thin layer of ice.

At that point I knew it was going to be bigger than they expected.. To be honest, when living around here, you come to realize that having a storm like this at all is incredible. I honestly thought that nothing was going to happen.

After another day I woke up the next morning to a branch almost crushing the truck in the front yard, the power going out and the cancellation of finals for Monday. Eventually all finals were canceled...

And the storm was one to remember. I don't know the exact totals, but it was a lot more than we've ever had of ice.

I have some pictures:

My front yard
Weird formation on a leaf
Another angle of the front yard
The backyard

This post has been edited by Envy: Aug 29 2008, 07:42 PM

--------------------
I'm a cold weather lover stuck in a place where summer dominates and even winter has warm temperatures.

+Quote Post
Removed_Member_baltimore_big_daddy_*
post Aug 29 2008, 07:52 PM
Post #14

Guests

QUOTE(Envy @ Aug 29 2008, 09:27 PM) *
You guys are making me so jealous. Anything over a foot is completely unheard of around here... Even a foot is unheard of around here. I do believe the most we've gotten within the last few years was six inches, and it melted within a few hours due to it getting pretty warm the next day.

But I just love when the meteorologists on the TV are wrong, it just makes the fact that the storm was big even better.

Back in December of 2002, I remember a snow storm that was predicted to give us less than an inch. When the snow started falling it was those huge snowflakes and it amounted to one inch in no time. In total there was 8 or so inches. Actually I don't even remember to be honest but it was quite a lot for here.

This is making me sad... I want winter and it's snow storms to come now. sad.gif

And then, of course, there was the ice storm of last December. The meteorologists did not take it seriously at all, and neither did the people at my college. It was going to be the week of finals, and one of my friends asked "What happens if this ice storm is a problem." and the teacher responded "This college never closes, it won't be bad." My private lesson instructor also made a similar response when I asked "What if there actually is an ice storm?"

I spent the day that I should have been studying over at my friends house. It was midnight and her parents were saying that there had already been freezing rain... Which was not what they predicted, it wasn't supposed to be below freezing at that point. (it wasn't supposed to go below freezing for like 24 hours.) Driving home it was a thunderstorm... but it was freezing rain, with a lot of lightning. When I got home the cars outside were covered with a thin layer of ice.

At that point I knew it was going to be bigger than they expected.. To be honest, when living around here, you come to realize that having a storm like this at all is incredible. I honestly thought that nothing was going to happen.

After another day I woke up the next morning to a branch almost crushing the truck in the front yard, the power going out and the cancellation of finals for Monday. Eventually all finals were canceled...

And the storm was one to remember. I don't know the exact totals, but it was a lot more than we've ever had of ice.

I have some pictures:

My front yard
Weird formation on a leaf
Another angle of the front yard
The backyard
my all time fav storm, was the pres day storm of 79, we got 23 inches in about 13 hours, and at one point got 17 inches in 5 hours, too this day i still havent seen it snow that hard

+Quote Post
NYCSuburbs
post Sep 3 2008, 09:21 AM
Post #15

Member No.: 15,491

The best winter storm I've seen was the blizzard of 2006. Even though NYC got 26" and we got 18", which is much less, there was still a lot of snow, and in the early morning we had thundersnow which lasted for 2 hours. The snow fell very, very heavy and I don't think I'll ever see a storm like that again in the NYC metro (and I'll probably never see again 18" of snow melt completely in a week).

+Quote Post
CreamyGoodness
post Sep 6 2008, 03:14 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 14,370

I live in Northern Columbia County NY. For me, the two best winter storms were the Spring Blizzard of '82 and the October 4th Surprise snow in 1987. In 1982, it was the week before Easter and I think it had been rather warm in the days before. On April 6th, we all went to school despite forecasts of snow that day. Many schools in the area had closed in anticpation of a heavy snow, but not ours. As the day progressed, schools that were open that day closed in reaction to the heavy snow. Our school missed their opportunity and due to the heavy snowfalls, they were wise to decide to keep kids in place until the weather cleared. This was not a typical late-season snow, it was cold and the snow was light and fluffy and probably had water ratios more akin to January here. We had to eat dinner in school and I did not get home until 7:30pm. Some other kids in schools which could not close had to stay over night. That night, it was weird dying easter eggs during a snowstorm!
In the end, we had over two feet and school was closed for the next three days. The following morning, as with most good Nor'Easters, it was incredibly clear and the northeast winds were fierce and the temp was somewhere around 15 degrees with a subzero windchill. Snow drifted over 6-8 feet high and many roads were impassable due to the drifting.

The other favorite of mine was the October 4th Surprise Snow of 1987. The night before, there was rain predicted for the area and it was a rather normal fall night with rain. The next morning, on the 4th, I woke up to about 6 inches of heavy,wet snow. I had snow tires on my car at that point due to a series of flats earlier in the week, so driving was not an issue. I went to church at 7:30 and we had already lost power at that point due to the trees having most of their leaves and the water ratios of that snow were reported to be 3.5 to 1 (NWS Albany.) As the morning went on, trees began to break and drop with the frequency of firecrackers. The gigantic high-tension power lines on those giant metal towers collapsed near me like it was nothing. Being outside became lethal due to the number of falling trees. When it was over, I think we had something like 18 inches, and some areas to my south had up to 2 feet. Power was out for more than 2 weeks for some and there was a state of emergency and disasters declared in many counties, Columbia, Dutchess among others. I was working at a gas station as my first real job and we emptied our tanks since we had power and had some of the only gas in town and we filled truck after truck from power and tree service folks. I remember this well when I always try to keep my car tank full since you never know.

--------------------
Best snow storm I ever experienced: April 06, 1982
Craziest snow storm ever experienced: October 04, 1987

+Quote Post
Removed_Member_NJBLIZZARD_*
post Apr 9 2009, 09:05 PM
Post #17

Guests

QUOTE(joesnow @ Aug 29 2008, 03:57 PM) *
blizzard of 96 for me, at the time i was eye level with the snow,(i was 3) it would be nice to see that again!

wow dude. i lived in millstone Nj right by you. and i was three as well and i remember it was eye level as well. it was intense. i got lost out there it was so high!

+Quote Post
davidals
post Mar 3 2010, 08:55 AM
Post #18

Group: Founding Member
Member No.: 2,729

I was living in Boone NC during the March 1993 and January 1996 blizzards, both of which were quite memorable.

The '93 storm deposited 32" of snow, and the highest gusts in town were just shy of hurricane force, which drove drifts up to the 2nd floor of some homes. The Friday portion of the storm did not have much wind; Saturday was a very, very different story; gusts outside of town on Grandfather Mountain topped 100 mph. Thankfully, the power remained on in town. Still, it was 3 days before I could leave my apartment.

The '96 storm, very early January, was very poorly forecast, at least in the South. Boone is a snow-savvy town, and it's rare for a storm to catch people offguard there, but that storm did - we were expecting 6-8 inches of snow, and got 26". It didn't immobilize the town quite as badly as the '93 storm did; I remember hiking out with roommates to one of the bars next to campus. That winter ('95-'96) was very, very brutal - I remember wind chill advisories for another windy storm that sent wind chills down to -35 on one occasion.

--------------------
Key North Carolina Meteorological Memories: 4-3/4-74 Super Outbreak, 3-28-84 (tornado outbreak), January 1985 severe cold snap, 11-29-88 (tornado outbreak), 5-5-89 (tornado outbreak), Hurricane Hugo, December '89 severe cold snap, March 12-13 1993 blizzard (34"), January 6-7 1996 blizzard (28"), August 1999 100-degree week, January 25 2000 snowstorm (21"), December 4 2002 severe ice storm...

+Quote Post
hugehail
post Mar 7 2010, 11:46 AM
Post #19

Member No.: 22,249

I am currently creating a web page on the October 4, 1987 heavy wet snowstorm that affected NY/MA/CT and VT. The snow totals for this storm were really not documented very well. I am contacting local historians, newspapers, libraries and other sources to help augment the previous storm documentation. Totals were dramatically underdone across southeastern NY including Dutchess, Putnam and Westchester counties. I will also include a meteorological study of the event with surface and 500mb loops. I also plan to dispute the notion that cooling from the melting of snowflakes was the primary reason why rain changed to snow(There was cold/dry advection and wet bulbing). Also, I dont think the liquid ratios were 3.5 to 1. Lots of melting was occurring as the snow was falling (from underneath), especially since heavy rains occurred before the storm. This resulted in slush beneath a layer of snow. Places reporting 22" of snow probably had more like 28" of snowfall. Liquid ratios are always tough to calculate. In the plains they tend to be overestimated since it is hard to catch precip that is falling almost horizontally. But they tend to be underestimated with the heavy wet snows on the east coast due to melting, warm ground, settling and previous rains. Is that 18" that you mentioned for northern Columbia county a rough estimate or fairly close? I dont believe the coop report of 8.5" at Valatie--I believe it was more like 12". A historian at Chatham Center measured 14". I dont need to know your exact location (for privacy purposes) but can you tell me what town you live in or how far from that town you live so I can fine tune my snowfall map for the event? Your help would be greatly appreciated.

QUOTE(CreamyGoodness @ Sep 6 2008, 02:14 PM) *
I live in Northern Columbia County NY. For me, the two best winter storms were the Spring Blizzard of '82 and the October 4th Surprise snow in 1987. In 1982, it was the week before Easter and I think it had been rather warm in the days before. On April 6th, we all went to school despite forecasts of snow that day. Many schools in the area had closed in anticpation of a heavy snow, but not ours. As the day progressed, schools that were open that day closed in reaction to the heavy snow. Our school missed their opportunity and due to the heavy snowfalls, they were wise to decide to keep kids in place until the weather cleared. This was not a typical late-season snow, it was cold and the snow was light and fluffy and probably had water ratios more akin to January here. We had to eat dinner in school and I did not get home until 7:30pm. Some other kids in schools which could not close had to stay over night. That night, it was weird dying easter eggs during a snowstorm!
In the end, we had over two feet and school was closed for the next three days. The following morning, as with most good Nor'Easters, it was incredibly clear and the northeast winds were fierce and the temp was somewhere around 15 degrees with a subzero windchill. Snow drifted over 6-8 feet high and many roads were impassable due to the drifting.

The other favorite of mine was the October 4th Surprise Snow of 1987. The night before, there was rain predicted for the area and it was a rather normal fall night with rain. The next morning, on the 4th, I woke up to about 6 inches of heavy,wet snow. I had snow tires on my car at that point due to a series of flats earlier in the week, so driving was not an issue. I went to church at 7:30 and we had already lost power at that point due to the trees having most of their leaves and the water ratios of that snow were reported to be 3.5 to 1 (NWS Albany.) As the morning went on, trees began to break and drop with the frequency of firecrackers. The gigantic high-tension power lines on those giant metal towers collapsed near me like it was nothing. Being outside became lethal due to the number of falling trees. When it was over, I think we had something like 18 inches, and some areas to my south had up to 2 feet. Power was out for more than 2 weeks for some and there was a state of emergency and disasters declared in many counties, Columbia, Dutchess among others. I was working at a gas station as my first real job and we emptied our tanks since we had power and had some of the only gas in town and we filled truck after truck from power and tree service folks. I remember this well when I always try to keep my car tank full since you never know.

+Quote Post
hugehail
post Mar 7 2010, 12:02 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 22,249

I was wondering if you know how much snow fell on October 4, 1987 in Mahopac, NY? Do you know anyone who may have an idea? I am trying to document this storm thoroughly and create a web page on the event.

QUOTE(yankees @ Aug 29 2008, 02:48 PM) *
blizzard of 03 was the best it produced between 20-24 inches. the only other one nearly as good was the blizzard of 06. the best storm ever though is a tie between the blizzard of 03 and the blizzard of 96 which brought 22 inches.

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th April 2014 - 10:08 PM