Login to AccuWeather.com Premium Login to AccuWeather.com Professional Login to AccuWeather.com RadarPlus AccuWeather.com

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V  « < 3 4 5  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Best Winter Storm Of Your Lifetime?, Which Winter Storm Treated Your Area The Best?
Beck
post Feb 6 2011, 03:26 AM
Post #81

Group: Member
Member No.: 19,931

I can update mine to December 17th-22nd, 2010 - over 10" of nonstop torrential rains from Pineapple Express storm train! cool.gif

I think you guys on the east got the leftovers of what we got here tongue.gif

--------------------
Temecula Seasonal Precipitation 2014-2015: 0.37" (+0.25")
Normal to-date precipitation: 0.12"
Season began July 1st, 2014.

My Seasonal Precipitation 2014-2015: 2.06"

Temecula Weather Pages
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Louieloy102
post Feb 25 2011, 12:58 AM
Post #82

Member No.: 16,649

2/1-2/3 2011.

+Quote Post
The Snowman
post Feb 27 2011, 01:19 PM
Post #83

Member No.: 24,567

Definitely the 2011 Blizzard.
Feb 1.

--------------------
My Blog: http://theweathercentre.blogspot.com

2014 Severe Weather Season
Tornado Warnings: 0
Tornado Watches: 2
Severe Thunderstorm Warnings: 6
Severe Thunderstorm Watches: 4

Slight Risk Days: 11
Moderate Risk Days: 0
High Risk Days: 0

Annual Snowfall
2013-2014: 69.5"
2012-2013: 37''

You can never have too much hockey, weather or Pink Floyd.

QUOTE(John Wiedeman, May 29, 2013)
The Blackhawks have dispatched the Detroit Red Wings!

+Quote Post
Fire/Rescue
post Mar 15 2011, 10:09 PM
Post #84

Member No.: 20,753

For here near Baltimore:

I will have to go with the Blizzard of "93"

and also a close runner up was last years Blizzard on Feb 5th and 6th 2010

as BOTH blizzards gave my area close to 30" per storm.

+Quote Post
South of the Pik...
post Apr 2 2011, 09:39 PM
Post #85

Member No.: 25,408

There are a lot of candidates for me.

Blizzard of February 1978: I was just 5 years old, but the snow was so deep me and my sister were jumping off the roof into the snow. To this day it is the storm all others are compared with in southern New England.

December 1992: This storm broke the all-time record of 32.1" for Worcester, Mass. I was coming out of my last class of the day and what had been heavy rain had turned into huge snow flakes. My Dad picked me up to go home for the weekewnd. Bad idea as I ended up stuck at home with no power, heat, or water for three days. This was the start of the snowiest ever winter in Worcester with 120" - ten feet!

March 1993 Superstorm: While not the biggest storm IMBY, at 20.1" it was a top ten snowstorm in Worcester. I remember following the forcasts all week on the Weather Channel. This storm lived up to the hype.

April Fools Day Blizzard of 1997: Officially the most snow ever in Worcester: 33.0". It was in the sixties the day before the storm began and the forcasts of a storm really did seem like a joke. The storm ended up being much worse than predicted.

December 23, 1997: It was a couple days before Christmas and the forecast was for just 2 to 4 inches of snow from this storm. The storm ended up exploding and instead it was snowing 4" an hour. It was all over by noon, but we ended up with 18". It was a complete surprise. Traffic was an obsolute mess.

+Quote Post
USA Weather
post Aug 8 2011, 08:09 PM
Post #86

Member No.: 25,873

Easily the Groundhog Day Blizzard of 2011. No question about it. Nothing like 2.5' of snow with 15' drifts (I am not even lying-I measured them!) The fifteen footer was on the south side of my house. On the north side, there was 'only' about 12-18" of snow on the ground, while there was snow up to my chest on the south side of the house. Very interesting day, and a very photogenic one too.

This post has been edited by USA Weather: Nov 19 2011, 08:40 AM

--------------------
Hi.

+Quote Post
WMDWXNUT
post Feb 25 2012, 10:35 AM
Post #87

Member No.: 20,290

Not the biggest in terms of accumulation (received 18" +/-) but certainly most impressive for MBY. Feb. 10 2010. Came 4 days after we received 26" from the Feb 4-5 storm.
Check out this video from my back patio.

Video

--------------------
10 mi south of Hagerstown, md

Winter 2013-2014

12/8 7.2"
12/10 5.25"
1/2 3.25"
1/21 7.5"
2/3 4"
2/9 1"
2/13 14.5"
2/15 .5"
2/18 1"
3/3 4.5"
3/17 4.75
3/25 1.5"

Total: 55"

Winter 2012-2013

Total: 20.25"

+Quote Post
snowrawrsnow
post Mar 5 2012, 01:25 PM
Post #88

Member No.: 25,804

I can't remember exactly what storm it was, but we were suppose to get four to eight inches and I was going to sleep outside in a sleeping bag. I ended up not, and we got 26 inches of snow or so. It was awesome!

Oh, and this year we had a convective snow squall move right through our area. I'd never seen anything like it, it looked like on Radar, a line of thunderstorms that were...well, snow. It came through with thunder and 60+ mph winds. The ground was bare before it came through, when it ended we had four inches in an hour or so. it was INSANE.

--------------------
~Snowy♥
There's a blaze of light in every word
It doesn't matter which you heard
The holy or the broken Hallelujah

+Quote Post
Jet Developer
post Mar 17 2012, 06:25 PM
Post #89

Member No.: 22,835

I don't remember exactly when this storm happened, but I think it was in the winter of 1997-1998. An El Nino storm hit one night. I think it started in the evening but most of the rainfall was over night. I remember a few hours that night where rain that sounded like a waterfall outside the window continued non-stop. By the morning, Lake Forest had received more than 7 inches of rainfall. Never at any time in my life do I ever remember getting anything even close to 7 inches in one night. That is basically half the annual average for precipitation!!! When I woke up there was flooding everywhere and our creek which is usually about 15 feet wide and 1 foot deep had become a raging river probably at least 15 feet deep and a couple hundred feet wide. Large parts of the concrete path well above the creek got washed away and carried who knows where. There was other damage to the creek which there is still evidence of today.

In December 2010, we got a 7-day period of rain that brought us about 12 inches with maybe 3 inches in one night, but that was nothing like that crazy storm that I just described.

This post has been edited by Jet Developer: Mar 17 2012, 06:28 PM

+Quote Post
jdrenken
post Apr 28 2012, 01:03 PM
Post #90

Group: SuperModerator
Member No.: 14,521

QUOTE(jdrenken @ Jul 31 2010, 11:12 AM) *
I've got a few...

New Years Day storm of 1999 in Central IL Shut down Central IL for days and some areas of Peoria didn't get snow removed for weeks. They also started to dump snow in the Illinois River due to the amount.

November 30th-December 1st 2006 in Central MO. I was in the National Guard and we were tasked to help stranded motorist on I-70 which was closed from Kingdom City to Booneville. Also had Thundersnow with CG strikes.

Add GHD '11.

20" average of snow in my yard measured 5 times to make sure.

--------------------
For the record...I AM THE MISSOURI MAULER!

It's a work in progress!

Have a question? Look at our FAQ first.

89.5 FM KOPN Weather Blog

If it is important enough to you, you will find a way. If it is not, you will find an excuse.

+Quote Post
thundercloud
post Aug 13 2012, 08:52 AM
Post #91

Group: Founding Member
Member No.: 6

This one is pretty easy for me too. Definitely the Blizzard of '96. Or the "Great Blizzard" as I call it. For the life of me I don't understand why a lot of people don't even call it a blizzard. Winds were gusting well over 60mph in that storm here in eastern Long Island. We bagged at least 24" of snow and had countless drifts in the 10 to 15 foot range. The power was out for at least two days, the pipes froze, shingles were missing, we had siding damage, and we had frost on the interior walls inside the house because temps the night after the storm dumped to the lowest level in at least the last 20 years (-5F to -10F). One of the neighbors had a drift halfway up their second story window, they actually had no other way of getting out of their house than to climb out that window and slide down that drift! It was by far and away the worst storm I've ever seen.

--------------------
Artie/NY
B.S. in Meteorology
Daily Hi/Lo & Precip will be posted here: http://thundercloud82.blogspot.com/

+Quote Post
woodyelm
post Mar 17 2014, 08:00 AM
Post #92

Member No.: 28,011

Blizzard of 1996. In October of 1995 I was in a bad accident and could not shovel snow when the storm hit in January of 1996. The TV stations were quoting a total of 30", which was probably a mean. But I am sure that it was in the neighborhood of 36-38 inches IMBY, but it was hard to tell because the steady east wind piled drifts much higher. Sunday night the mets were predicting it would be over at 1 AM Monday. I hit the hay around eleven, and it was still coming down as hard as it was on Saturday afternoon. As I looked out the window I wondered what it would look like if it just kept right on snowing. I got up the next morning at six and it was still coming down as hard as it was when I went to bed. There were some heavy bands in the wraparound, and I am sure different areas around Harrisburg and Carlisle PA that had varying amounts. The twist: Carlisle townspeople became outraged because the borough brought giant snowblowers in and piled up snow in their backyards, in some places, ten to twelve feet deep. But at the end of January, temps in the high fifties moved in and it rained for two days straight. It remained warm for three days after the storm and the wind blew 50 mph the whole time. By February 4 not only was there no snow on the ground, the ground was completely dry. There were no more storms that winter.

+Quote Post
woodyelm
post Mar 17 2014, 08:20 AM
Post #93

Member No.: 28,011

There are three weather related events that I distinctly remember.

1. Vermont January of 1969. Living there with my band where we had gone to write our masterpiece. There was about two feet of snow on the ground when it suddenly warmed up and poured rain for about six hours. Then the temperature dropped to ten below zero. We were up early and decided to go up to a plateau road well above the valley floor. We walked out on the fields and discovered that the snow had a huge crust of ice that supported us without crunching through the snowpack. It was early dawn, and there was no wind. We realized that we could spread out a hundred feet apart, and talk in a normal voice, and found that we could hear each other perfectly. I noticed a gurgling sound in the background, and it took me about five minutes to find the source. It was a small spring about 12" wide that was open down to the ground. Vapor was slowly streaming along the ground and dissipating quickly. I looked down into the bottom and saw tiny yellow flowers still growing. Mind blown.

2. Vermont October of 1973. I lived in one valley but worked on the other side of the mountain. One crisp frosted morning at dawn I was on the way to a job over the mountain and about halfway up was traveling on a mile of level road before the last climb over the top, and spotted a sugar maple at the end of the level road on which all its leaves were coated with frost. At that time the sun came up over the mountain behind me and began to hit the top of the tree and slowly slid down to the bottom. There was no wind that morning. I noticed that there was a large fluttering in the tree and at first I thought it was birds. But as I got closer, I realized that as the sun hit the leaves the frost melted and the heavy leaves began to fall, following the track of the sunlight right down to the tree bottom. The tree was almost completely denuded. Of course, I didn't have a camera. Mind blown.

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  « < 3 4 5
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th August 2014 - 07:09 PM