Login to AccuWeather.com Premium Login to AccuWeather.com Professional Login to AccuWeather.com RadarPlus AccuWeather.com

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> WeatherLink: Moving from PC to Mac
DeputyDawg
post Sep 11 2008, 11:42 AM
Post #1

Group: Member
Member No.: 15,692

Hello all,

Not sure if this is the right place. Feel free to move the move if needed.

I have been running Weatherlink on my Vantage Pro II for years - on a PC. I am considering
going to a Mac. In my evaluation of what software will run on the mac, I came into some
conflicts with Weatherlink.

Yes there is a Mac version (NOT nearly as potent as windows). However, I want to be able to import my years of data into the mac software, but apparently that isn't possible nor will it ever (according to Davis).

I'm sure I am not the first person to run into this. Any thoughts, suggestions etc would be appreciated.

Thanks
Paul
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Tim_McManus
post Oct 8 2008, 04:37 PM
Post #2

Group: Founding Member
Member No.: 48

As a Mac user/developer/consultant I have to recommend that you stay with WeatehrLink for the PC. It has more features and is a heckuvalot more stable than the Mac version.

There are other alternatives to WeatherLink and they should be explored.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Removed_Member_WeatherGoose_*
post Jan 26 2009, 03:23 PM
Post #3

Guests

QUOTE(Tim_McManus @ Oct 8 2008, 02:37 PM) *
As a Mac user/developer/consultant I have to recommend that you stay with WeatehrLink for the PC. It has more features and is a heckuvalot more stable than the Mac version.

There are other alternatives to WeatherLink and they should be explored.

I have tried EVERYTHING that is available for the Mac as well as mostly everything for the PC.

Conclusion... Lightsoft Weather Center (LWC) is hands down the best thing out there over all!

The product is stable, the feature set is extensive and useful, AND the application looks and feels like a professionally written Native OSX application. Most of the OSX compatible third party stuff out there are badly ported versions of Windows apps and have a CLUNKY feel to them with UIs that will make a Mac user's eyes bleed. Even the Davis offerings leave a lot to be desired. Namely, WL for OSX has ZERO, count em...ZERO support for CWOP and WeatherUnderground. A Davis tech had the odacity to claim that both CWOP and WeatherUnderground DID NOT SUPPORT MAC SOFTWARE! blink.gif rolleyes.gif

If you have done any research looking for a full featured Mac based weather software package, you can't help but come away feeling like a second class citizen! Most OSX compatible weather software offerings all feel like they were last minute add-ons to the PC product, without a heck of a lot of care or attention paid to them. I guess the developers of these products never saw those statistics that show Mac users are better educated, higher paid, and far more likely to SPEND money on hobby related software like weather station interfaces. wink.gif

Stu Ball at Lightsoft gets it in spades! You won't find a more responsive developer to his user base!

I am not getting paid to post this message. I am just a VERY satisfied registered user of LWC who wasted several weeks screwing around with lesser offerings before literally stumbling upon LWC. CWOP doesn't even list it on their software listing even though it is the easiest and most reliable CWOP uploader there is.

Took me literally 2 minutes to get both CWOP and WU up and running on LWC and there has yet to be a single issue with either.

LWC isn't perfect of course... There are a few features I would like to see added such as the ability to update the VP2 console firmware using the Davis update downloads. Not sure if that is going to happen or not, but I have been pushing for it. A bunch of other luxury features are on the to-do list for LWC2 which Lightsoft is currently working on. BETA versions of that new version are also available for download if you are the adventurous type!

Bottom line...

Any Mac user out there who is looking for something that will remind you of why you use a Mac in the first place, pay a visit here and download the free trial version of LWC! If you are like me, within a few minutes you will be smiling from ear to ear and laughing outloud as to why you didn't get this thing installed sooner! wink.gif

http://www.lightsoft.co.uk/LWC/index.html

This post has been edited by WeatherGoose: Jan 26 2009, 03:53 PM

+Quote Post
Salisbury
post Jun 12 2009, 11:05 AM
Post #4

Group: Member
Member No.: 18,406

I love my accuweather widget on my mac. So useful to see at a glance whats going to happen with the weeks weather!

Samantha -
Reason for edit: No Advertising

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd August 2014 - 12:37 PM