Login to AccuWeather.com Premium Login to AccuWeather.com Professional Login to AccuWeather.com RadarPlus AccuWeather.com

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Dead IP logger
Removed_Member_Joseph Toubes_*
post Sep 21 2008, 11:50 AM
Post #1

Guests

I was thrilled with my Weatherlink IP logger when it started up with no problems.

Yesterday, it stopped sending data to the Weatherlink IP site as well as I was getting data off of it for Weather Display ( For some reason the USB drivers were crashing and locking up the system when I was using WD.. not sure why..).

So I dug through the FAQs and it said that a quirk was that periodically it needs to be rebooted, that is disconnected from the router, the console needs to be powered down and then up and so forth.

I did that and then it quit all together. So I got out my second console from the kitchen changed it around, installed the logger and it worked fine for three hours, same problem. This time I thought I would let it sit and see if maybe it would correct itself.

Six hours later, same problem.. It flashed along with the router and no data.. So I then thought maybe it was an error on the site. I checked some of the other sites using that protocol and they were posting data that was up to date. So I then rebooted my computer, powered down the console, and the router. started everything back up and the router was doing what it needed to, except it wouldn't light up the port where the IP logger connected. I unplugged my computer and installed it there just to see if the router was pad on that port, and no it didn't light up either.

Then I plugged back in the computer and we were fine , even on other ports.

So... I am thinking bad power supply.. took out the AC supply, pulled the batteries out of the second unit and plugged in the AC and it worked.. so not the power supply.

Then I pulled the IP logger out and let it sit on the desk for a few hours just incase that might help, clear out some charge or what.

reinstalled and nothing. The green light on the logger wouldn't light still. So I removed it to put back in the USB logger and found that the logger was very warm. I think it shorted out or died ...

So.. I have an email and a phone call (on their answering machine) to Davis, asking them to replace the logger . It might have been faulty from the factory.

I noticed that the CD for weatherlink is older than what I have on my machine, which I wonder if this has sat on a shelf in their warehouse.

I am calling Davis over my lunch moment to discuss this with them. Going to ask them to send me a replacement and I'll send them this one back.

Not sure why it crashed,unless the use of streaming data to Weathedisplay was more than it could stand, but they have a provision in Weatherlink that does the exact same thing.. It accesses the IP from the router into the software and then releases the port every minute. maybe that was it. I doubt it.

But none the less, I have the USB drawing data and I am periodically starting up Weather Display and Weather link and pulling in the data.

I had revised my web site so it is blah, blah.. but it works for now. Not sure what to do next when the replacement logger comes.. either go with the IP site, use an inframe as suggested or what.

Too bad there is no weather supplier in the midwest that would be a quicker turnaround on the product. I hate to give up on this right now.

Anyone else have such a tale of woe? sad.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
WeatherMatrix
post Sep 21 2008, 06:23 PM
Post #2

Admin

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 2

I have had the WeatherLinkIP quit on me a couple times at work, even though the Ethernet should have been fine, and rebooting the station worked. I figured it was a network or power-related blip. I didn't have WeatherView downloading the data to the PC back then, but I do now.

HOWEVER over at Joe Bastardi's house I installed a WeatherLinkIP and (no joke) it has been running for 3 months without ever stopping (both are transmitting to WeatherLinks.com and CWOP).

QUOTE(Joseph Toubes @ Sep 21 2008, 01:50 PM) *
I was thrilled with my Weatherlink IP logger when it started up with no problems.

Yesterday, it stopped sending data to the Weatherlink IP site as well as I was getting data off of it for Weather Display ( For some reason the USB drivers were crashing and locking up the system when I was using WD.. not sure why..).

--------------------
-- Jesse Ferrell, FORUM ADMIN & MODERATOR

-- AccuWeather.com Meteorologist / Social Media Coordinator

-- My Blog | My Facebook Page

HELPFUL LINKS: MODEL FAQ / WEATHER QUESTIONS | FORUM FAQ / QUESTIONS
STAY ON TOPIC! TALK ABOUT PAST STORMS | TALK ABOUT NON-WEATHER STUFF

+Quote Post
post Sep 21 2008, 07:01 PM
Post #3

Guests

QUOTE(WeatherMatrix @ Sep 21 2008, 07:23 PM) *
I have had the WeatherLinkIP quit on me a couple times at work, even though the Ethernet should have been fine, and rebooting the station worked. I figured it was a network or power-related blip. I didn't have WeatherView downloading the data to the PC back then, but I do now.

HOWEVER over at Joe Bastardi's house I installed a WeatherLinkIP and (no joke) it has been running for 3 months without ever stopping (both are transmitting to WeatherLinks.com and CWOP).

I think it was a faulty part. I mean some folks have great results with their stations and some don't.
I revised my site and did put in an iframe for the weatherlink stuff.

I think when the weatherlink IP is resolved, I will stick to the IP and Interwarn . Less of a memory footprint.

I did find it pretty easy to set the IP up and have it work.

I' ll call Davis in the morning..

+Quote Post
KMSS
post Sep 22 2008, 04:29 PM
Post #4

Group: Founding Member
Member No.: 1,896

What is the firmware version of this WLIP logger?

+Quote Post
post Sep 22 2008, 04:30 PM
Post #5

Guests

QUOTE(KMSS @ Sep 22 2008, 05:29 PM) *
What is the firmware version of this WLIP logger?

not sure.. I think 1.04... davis is sending out a replacement

+Quote Post
post Sep 24 2008, 04:07 PM
Post #6

Guests

QUOTE(Joseph Toubes @ Sep 22 2008, 05:30 PM) *
not sure.. I think 1.04... davis is sending out a replacement

I got an email from davis .. all of their loggers are 1.04 firmware. They have sent out an replacement. When it arrives, I have to call in the DID and key and they will transfer over my account information.

+Quote Post
The PIT
post Sep 30 2008, 12:36 PM
Post #7

Group: Founding Member
Member No.: 1,001

Trying to work what usb drivers have to do with an Ethernet connection.

+Quote Post
post Sep 30 2008, 01:03 PM
Post #8

Guests

QUOTE(The PIT @ Sep 30 2008, 01:36 PM) *
Trying to work what usb drivers have to do with an Ethernet connection.

they have nothing do with it.

+Quote Post
post Oct 4 2008, 10:26 AM
Post #9

Guests

QUOTE(Joseph Toubes @ Sep 30 2008, 02:03 PM) *
they have nothing do with it.

going into the second week... so far so good...

+Quote Post
WeatherMatrix
post Oct 8 2008, 09:58 AM
Post #10

Admin

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 2

I have had similar problems, usually weeks apart, but it happened twice over the weekend. Here's the response I got from Larry at Davis:

This is still a mystery. It doesn't happen to many users and is a tough problem to crack since we can't recreate it. We are working on a solution though.

My suggestion was that it must be different network conditions, as the one that keeps halting is the AccuWeather one, on our high-traffic corporate network, while another one I installed at Joe Bastardi's house has been running for 4 months straight, hooked to his low-traffic home router.

--------------------
-- Jesse Ferrell, FORUM ADMIN & MODERATOR

-- AccuWeather.com Meteorologist / Social Media Coordinator

-- My Blog | My Facebook Page

HELPFUL LINKS: MODEL FAQ / WEATHER QUESTIONS | FORUM FAQ / QUESTIONS
STAY ON TOPIC! TALK ABOUT PAST STORMS | TALK ABOUT NON-WEATHER STUFF

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st October 2014 - 11:45 AM