Login to AccuWeather.com Premium Login to AccuWeather.com Professional Login to AccuWeather.com RadarPlus AccuWeather.com

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The New Madrid Megaquake!, The real possibility of a megaquake in America's Heartland
Removed_Member_CapeCodWeather08_*
post Oct 24 2008, 07:42 PM
Post #1

Guests

Although there appears to be a period of 300 to 500 year intervals of this mega quakes in America's Heartland, there is evidence that one could happen tomorrow. There have been intervals of several major earthquakes happening in a period of time. The last one? 1811 to 1812. In this period from December 4th 1811 to January 20th or so 1812 four 7.0 magnitude or greater earthquakes struck the New Madrid Seismic Zone. Two earthquakes struck within 6 hours of time the first was an 7.0 and the second was an 8.1. This 8.1 magnitude quake struck with such ferocity that it effected the earth for 1 million square miles. Compared to the 1906 San Francisco Earthquake this was a monster quake. The 1906 infamous San Francisco, CA quake only effected 6,000 square miles of area. So imagine what would happen today if such a quake was created. However this zone is very rare given its location, inside of a plate the North American plate. Normally such zones are located between two tectonic plates. This is not the case with this zone. Now let's discuss the outcome of such a quake.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
BriSr
post Oct 24 2008, 08:52 PM
Post #2

Group: Member
Member No.: 12,681

I shudder to think what would happen to all the cities in the central US. Old brick structures. No earthquake proofing of any kind. BAD, BAD situation. Bye, bye Memphis.

--------------------

Avatar: Winter in the Northland of MN.

Photo courtesy Dennis O'Hara of Northern Images Photography. Browse photos of the Duluth, and the surrounding area. Live web cam, also.

http://northernimages.smugmug.com/galleries

+Quote Post
Sagebrusher
post Oct 26 2008, 10:44 AM
Post #3

Group: Founding Member
Member No.: 2,132

It would make Katrina look like a picnic. The only disaster that would be worse for the US, in an average 1000 year span, would be a megathrust quake off the NW coast.

This post has been edited by Sagebrusher: Oct 26 2008, 10:46 AM

+Quote Post
post Oct 30 2008, 05:16 PM
Post #4

Guests

I believe a New Madrid Earthquake would be worse then a NW Pacific US megathrust earthquake because the cities of the region are further inland. Unless we had a submarine landslide trigger a tsunami in the Atlantic Ocean and there are several trouble spots in the Atlantic Ocean, that would hit Eastern US.

+Quote Post
bubbles
post Nov 2 2008, 09:41 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 15,013

QUOTE(CapeCodWeather08 @ Oct 24 2008, 06:42 PM) *
Although there appears to be a period of 300 to 500 year intervals of this mega quakes in America's Heartland, there is evidence that one could happen tomorrow. There have been intervals of several major earthquakes happening in a period of time. The last one? 1811 to 1812. In this period from December 4th 1811 to January 20th or so 1812 four 7.0 magnitude or greater earthquakes struck the New Madrid Seismic Zone. Two earthquakes struck within 6 hours of time the first was an 7.0 and the second was an 8.1. This 8.1 magnitude quake struck with such ferocity that it effected the earth for 1 million square miles. Compared to the 1906 San Francisco Earthquake this was a monster quake. The 1906 infamous San Francisco, CA quake only effected 6,000 square miles of area. So imagine what would happen today if such a quake was created. However this zone is very rare given its location, inside of a plate the North American plate. Normally such zones are located between two tectonic plates. This is not the case with this zone. Now let's discuss the outcome of such a quake.

Wow!! that would be pretty horrible

--------------------
Nobody enjoys a red X.

+Quote Post
Rbrtkln
post Nov 4 2008, 11:53 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 12,261

QUOTE(CapeCodWeather08 @ Oct 30 2008, 06:16 PM) *
Unless we had a submarine landslide trigger a tsunami in the Atlantic Ocean and there are several trouble spots in the Atlantic Ocean, that would hit Eastern US.

I watched a TV show on this once. No where to run and no where to hide if this happens.

--------------------
My Winter 08/09 Snow Tally: 29.1"
My Winter 09/10 Snow Tally: 56.5"
My Winter 10/11 Snow Tally: 54.8"
My Winter 11/12 Snow Tally: 5.7"
My Winter 12/13 Snow Tally: 20.9"
My Winter 13/14 Snow Tally: 58.8"

Everything Else- The most fun you can have with your clothes on. For Real! Not kidding!

+Quote Post
post Nov 4 2008, 05:33 PM
Post #7

Guests

Scary situation to say the least. I fear earthquakes the most, because there is no where to go when one strikes. Also they are the most unpredictable.

+Quote Post
post Nov 4 2008, 05:33 PM
Post #8

Guests

We fear the unknown most.

+Quote Post
Sagebrusher
post Nov 4 2008, 07:59 PM
Post #9

Group: Founding Member
Member No.: 2,132

QUOTE(CapeCodWeather08 @ Oct 30 2008, 07:16 PM) *
I believe a New Madrid Earthquake would be worse then a NW Pacific US megathrust earthquake because the cities of the region are further inland. Unless we had a submarine landslide trigger a tsunami in the Atlantic Ocean and there are several trouble spots in the Atlantic Ocean, that would hit Eastern US.

The Hawaiian islands are likely a bigger threat to the West Coast than any island in the Atlantic is to the East Coast. Hawaii has a proven history of gigantic landslides that let loose every few hundred thousand years.
Check it out:

http://www.mbari.org/volcanism/Hawaii/HR-Landslides.htm

+Quote Post
iowanine
post Nov 7 2008, 10:16 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 15,208

Wow, I can only image how much damage that would cause.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th October 2014 - 02:42 AM