Login to AccuWeather.com Premium Login to AccuWeather.com Professional Login to AccuWeather.com RadarPlus AccuWeather.com

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Big Fire In Ottawa, Il on 12/21/2008
forpetessake
post Dec 22 2008, 12:50 PM
Post #1

Group: Member
Member No.: 14,030

Ok so many of you know I work part time on the weekends at Papa Johns. Right across the street is a 105 year old building which houses a restaurant called the Green Mill. This has been a staple of this town and really a landmark forever. I left work around 630pm last night and went to the laundrymat. Around 745pm, someone told me that the Green Mill was on fire. Apparently the fire broke out around 630-7pm.

My friends at work, had a front row seat to the main event. When I got home, I called down there to make sure everyone was ok. They were starting to get headaches from the smoke.

Anyway here is the article from the local paper and pics. Really amazing and very sad.

Green Mill goes up in smoke

Ottawa fire and city officials, as well as state officials likely will decide by the end of today whether the recently-burned brick building at the northwest corner of Columbus and Madison streets will have to be razed.

At 6:52 p.m. Sunday, Ottawa firefighters received a 911 call reporting flames coming from the Green Mill cafe at 100 W. Madison St. The building also houses Sun Loan Company at 102 W. Madison St.

Firefighters made entry in the rear of the building, where the kitchen of the Green Mill is located, Ottawa Fire Chief Jim Duback said this morning. Although it appears the fire may have started in the kitchen area, Duback said the exact origin of the fire has not yet been determined.

"Firefighters made an aggressive interior attack and found fire underneath in the basement so they had to get out of the building," Duback said. "Due to the significant fire and cold, we issued the Mutual Aid Box Alarm System."

Firefighters from Streator, Peru, Marseilles, Grand Ridge and Naplate also responded to the fire and helped staff Ottawa's station.

Billows of smoke filled West Madison Street, and firefighters knelt down in front of the restaurant to spray water through the front window of the restaurant known for its trademark aqua green-colored booths and rounded cove ceiling.

The windows of the Sun Loan Company also were broken out as smoke damage was apparent, but nearby S & S Travel of Ottawa seemed unaffected.

S & S Travel owner Sandy Robinson received a phone call Sunday to inform her of the fire near her business. She arrived on the scene about 7:45 p.m. and planned to stay until the fire was out.

"My whole livelihood is in there," she said looking at her 24-year-old business. "I gotta stay."

Firefighters told her they were going to check her basement to make sure it wasn't connected to other affected basements. Luckily, she didn't think it was.

Some people parked their cars at Centrue Bank across the road and others stood on Madison Street and watched the long-time Ottawa restaurant go up in smoke.

About 50 firefighters battled the blaze throughout the night and morning. The north portion of the building collapsed during the response, dropping debris and bricks onto Madison Street. Bricks also scattered across Columbus Street (Route 23) to the east of the building, prompting officials to close the road and detour traffic. The detour is still in effect today.

Duback said officials are now examining the south side of the building, and must make a decision soon whether to raze the building in order to re-open Route 23.

The three-story building was unoccupied on the top two floors, Duback said. The fire chief also said he did not believe anyone was in the restaurant when the fire started.

No injuries were reported, however, several firefighters fell on account of the icy conditions. A hydrant closest to the restaurant was frozen, but firefighters were able to utilize several other hydrants.

"There was plenty of water flow," Duback said.

While razing the building will likely allow for Route 23 to re-open, Duback said Madison Street from Columbus Street to Court Street likely will be closed indefinately.

"Now there's just so much ice and rubble," Duback said.

The Green Mill dates back 108 years, when it first opened as the College Inn, named for Brown's Business College, which was located just above the restaurant. Since then, ownership has changed five times and the restaurant has operated under three names. The current owners are Ann and George Kidonakis.

www.inottawa.com

This post has been edited by forpetessake: Dec 22 2008, 12:51 PM

--------------------
I am just an average guy, who loves the weather, drums, my wife, my kids and my God.

Give Your Mom The Gift of Health This Mothers Day and Help Her Kick the Habit Too!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
bubbles
post Dec 22 2008, 12:54 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 15,013

QUOTE(forpetessake @ Dec 22 2008, 11:50 AM) *
Ok so many of you know I work part time on the weekends at Papa Johns. Right across the street is a 105 year old building which houses a restaurant called the Green Mill. This has been a staple of this town and really a landmark forever. I left work around 630pm last night and went to the laundrymat. Around 745pm, someone told me that the Green Mill was on fire. Apparently the fire broke out around 630-7pm.

My friends at work, had a front row seat to the main event. When I got home, I called down there to make sure everyone was ok. They were starting to get headaches from the smoke.

Anyway here is the article from the local paper and pics. Really amazing and very sad.

Green Mill goes up in smoke

Ottawa fire and city officials, as well as state officials likely will decide by the end of today whether the recently-burned brick building at the northwest corner of Columbus and Madison streets will have to be razed.

At 6:52 p.m. Sunday, Ottawa firefighters received a 911 call reporting flames coming from the Green Mill cafe at 100 W. Madison St. The building also houses Sun Loan Company at 102 W. Madison St.

Firefighters made entry in the rear of the building, where the kitchen of the Green Mill is located, Ottawa Fire Chief Jim Duback said this morning. Although it appears the fire may have started in the kitchen area, Duback said the exact origin of the fire has not yet been determined.

"Firefighters made an aggressive interior attack and found fire underneath in the basement so they had to get out of the building," Duback said. "Due to the significant fire and cold, we issued the Mutual Aid Box Alarm System."

Firefighters from Streator, Peru, Marseilles, Grand Ridge and Naplate also responded to the fire and helped staff Ottawa's station.

Billows of smoke filled West Madison Street, and firefighters knelt down in front of the restaurant to spray water through the front window of the restaurant known for its trademark aqua green-colored booths and rounded cove ceiling.

The windows of the Sun Loan Company also were broken out as smoke damage was apparent, but nearby S & S Travel of Ottawa seemed unaffected.

S & S Travel owner Sandy Robinson received a phone call Sunday to inform her of the fire near her business. She arrived on the scene about 7:45 p.m. and planned to stay until the fire was out.

"My whole livelihood is in there," she said looking at her 24-year-old business. "I gotta stay."

Firefighters told her they were going to check her basement to make sure it wasn't connected to other affected basements. Luckily, she didn't think it was.

Some people parked their cars at Centrue Bank across the road and others stood on Madison Street and watched the long-time Ottawa restaurant go up in smoke.

About 50 firefighters battled the blaze throughout the night and morning. The north portion of the building collapsed during the response, dropping debris and bricks onto Madison Street. Bricks also scattered across Columbus Street (Route 23) to the east of the building, prompting officials to close the road and detour traffic. The detour is still in effect today.

Duback said officials are now examining the south side of the building, and must make a decision soon whether to raze the building in order to re-open Route 23.

The three-story building was unoccupied on the top two floors, Duback said. The fire chief also said he did not believe anyone was in the restaurant when the fire started.

No injuries were reported, however, several firefighters fell on account of the icy conditions. A hydrant closest to the restaurant was frozen, but firefighters were able to utilize several other hydrants.

"There was plenty of water flow," Duback said.

While razing the building will likely allow for Route 23 to re-open, Duback said Madison Street from Columbus Street to Court Street likely will be closed indefinately.

"Now there's just so much ice and rubble," Duback said.

The Green Mill dates back 108 years, when it first opened as the College Inn, named for Brown's Business College, which was located just above the restaurant. Since then, ownership has changed five times and the restaurant has operated under three names. The current owners are Ann and George Kidonakis.

www.inottawa.com

Thankfully nobody was hurt.
It is always very sad when people lose their livelyhood like this...

I can't see the pics for some reason...

--------------------
Nobody enjoys a red X.

+Quote Post
wxdude1964
post Dec 22 2008, 12:58 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 14,395

Its sad when a historic landmark disappears, is this a small town?

Same here on pics, but I'm "SUPERFIREWALLED" here at work, not to
Ironwood's level, but I'm sure its coming sooner or later! mad.gif

This post has been edited by wxdude1964: Dec 22 2008, 12:58 PM

--------------------
Snowfall 2007-2008 season-11.4 inches
Snowfall 2008-2009 season-13.1 inches
Snowfall 2009-2010 season-68.6 inches
Snowfall 2010-2011 season-19.5 inches
Snowfall 2011-2012 season-16.5 inches.
Snowfall 2012-2013 season-25.9 inches.
Snowfall 2013-2014 season-41.1 inches.

+Quote Post
bubbles
post Dec 22 2008, 01:01 PM
Post #4

QUOTE(wxdude1964 @ Dec 22 2008, 11:58 AM) *
Its sad when a historic landmark disappears, is this a small town?

Same here on pics, but I'm "SUPERFIREWALLED" here at work, not to
Ironwood's level, but I'm sure its coming sooner or later! mad.gif

No!!!!
You gotta Fight! For your right! To play on AAAACCCU - WEATHER!!
*lol, just a little beastie boys*

--------------------
Nobody enjoys a red X.

+Quote Post
forpetessake
post Dec 22 2008, 01:15 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 14,030

Ottawa is a small town county seat of LaSalle county. Along I-80. It is where the Illinois and Fox Rivers meet.

It is also 7 miles from Utica, the town that had that infamous F3 Tornado.

You guys have to see the pics. So...here is the link;
http://mywebtimes.com/archives/ottawa/display.php?id=372339

--------------------
I am just an average guy, who loves the weather, drums, my wife, my kids and my God.

Give Your Mom The Gift of Health This Mothers Day and Help Her Kick the Habit Too!

+Quote Post
bubbles
post Dec 22 2008, 02:24 PM
Post #6

QUOTE(forpetessake @ Dec 22 2008, 12:15 PM) *
Ottawa is a small town county seat of LaSalle county. Along I-80. It is where the Illinois and Fox Rivers meet.

It is also 7 miles from Utica, the town that had that infamous F3 Tornado.

You guys have to see the pics. So...here is the link;
http://mywebtimes.com/archives/ottawa/display.php?id=372339

we're firewalled silly!
you gotta copy the pics and then attach them as pictures that are already open biggrin.gif

--------------------
Nobody enjoys a red X.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th November 2014 - 09:47 PM